General Category > General Discussion

Hot swarf

<< < (2/2)

Bill21:
Wearing gloves while operating any form of rotating machinery is forbidden in most workplaces under H&S rules. What folks do in their own sheds is up to them. I generally only ever wear gloves for rough handling or hot work.

Twisted Trees:
Hot shavings happen, but consider how much you may be contributing, too much pressure on the bevel = extra friction not sharpening often enough  will also add to the heat. But they still happen sometimes especially on very dry wood.

I never wear gloves on the lathe except the latex type when colouring, they tear easier than skin so are probably relatively safe! But I do change my grip, often an underhand grip will keep your left hand away from the shavings.

GBF:

--- Quote from: Twisted Trees on September 02, 2023, 11:31:05 AM ---Hot shavings happen, but consider how much you may be contributing, too much pressure on the bevel = extra friction not sharpening often enough  will also add to the heat. But they still happen sometimes especially on very dry wood.

I never wear gloves on the lathe except the latex type when colouring, they tear easier than skin so are probably relatively safe! But I do change my grip, often an underhand grip will keep your left hand away from the shavings.

--- End quote ---

This is the best reply

Regards George

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version