General Category > General Discussion

Tea Lights in wood

<< < (3/3)

Bill21:
I agree Pete, the LED ones are pretty good and so much safer!  ;D

Richard_C:
I have seen reports of tealights melting through plastic, one happened locally a few years ago - fire brigade said it was tealight on a television.  I suspect the consequent fire was when the aluminium of the tealight fell into the higher voltage bits inside the set.  Pity it was in an upstairs bedroom and the house was thatched.   Not sure about getting wood alight, scorched maybe, but flames?

As a maker you can only go so far because you have no control over what the purchaser does with the product.  You could label them "for use with LED lights only", and "do not leave unattended" but if the buyer later chooses to put real ones in and go down the pub or coffee shop you can't stop them.  Just like that long, heavy narrow necked vase you sold, nothing to stop the purchaser holding it by the neck and using the heavy end to bludgeon some poor innocent, or leave it on a shelf where a toddler can pull it down and hurt themselves.  We can't prevent the end users malfeasance nor overcome their potential for stupidity.  You just do your best.

I suppose an ideal design would be if LED tealights were slightly smaller diamater than the wax ones, then if you made the recess the right size for LED people couldn't misuse them.  But unless they exist, safer all round to fit a metal holder. Some suppliers want silly money but you do see them around at about 50p each if you buy 12.  A nice looking metal holder though could be a fair proportion of the likely sale proceeds  if you are doing it commercially unless you are able to get top-end prices.  Maybe its not an ideal woodturning product. 

Dave Wraight:
If you follow this link which was updated less than a week ago the guidance is there from the people who know. I have been abused in the past at craft fairs for stating the obvious about t-lights and bare wood so no longer make comment!

https://firerisk.co.uk/top-10-tips-for-candle-fire-safety/

Twisted Trees:

--- Quote from: Dave Wraight on October 25, 2023, 10:33:29 AM ---If you follow this link which was updated less than a week ago the guidance is there from the people who know. I have been abused in the past at craft fairs for stating the obvious about t-lights and bare wood so no longer make comment!

https://firerisk.co.uk/top-10-tips-for-candle-fire-safety/

--- End quote ---
Perfect, puts all the responsibility on the person that lights the candles and gives a free pass to turners and shops alike  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version