General Category > General Discussion

True Grit / Sanding / Finishing

(1/3) > >>

morpheus83uk:
Hello,

I am fairly new to turning so I am still finding my way around the tools, finishing sanding etc..

I am looking at the True Grit abrasive paste and it seems like it cuts down on sanding. So only sand to 240 grit them sanding sealer and then true grit. As it contains beeswax I assume I can't put any additional finish on top of it like melamine lacquer or would it just be another wax finish such as microcrystalline?

The other question I have is around the Chestnut Nyweb pads. I believe these can be used to continue sanding past 400 grit and before the sanding sealer? Then use the orange one? Well the finest to sand back the sanding sealer?

And finally I have purchased some wood wax 22 as it was recommended to be a good finish for a beginner. How does it hold up against things such as finger marks and things when making bowls or say a tea light holder? I haven't made these but just using them as examples as I want a good simple finish I can apply to start with. I also assume I can apply it over other finished to make it glossy?

Apologies for all the questions!

Thank You in advance!

Bill21:
Abrasive waxes have been around for a long time. If you haven’t bought any yet just get the cheapest you can find. Or even make your own, it’s very easy.

There should be little if any wax left after the process so you may well be able to use more finishes afterwards than you may expect if it’s used on something like sanding sealer. If it’s used on bare wood then I’d only use another wax product just to be on the safe side.

My go to wax that doesn’t leave fingerprints is Microcrystalline Wax. I’ve not tried Wood Wax 22.

I only use the grey non woven abrasives from the likes of Wickes for de-nibbling sanding sealer.

My standard finish for most stuff is to sand through the grades to 400 grit, apply cellulose sanding sealer, de-nibb then apply Microcrystalline wax. Sometimes though I’ll use Liberon finishing oil then wax again.

You may find this interesting, particularly the part about spraying lacquer on top of wax. I’ve tried it and Jimmy is right. 😉

https://youtu.be/Mjd2rP9qX5Q?si=Rof0-Amm58UQyw3N

morpheus83uk:
Thank you for your reply!

I have the woodwax 22 so I was hoping that I can get some good use out of it for things such as decorative stuff which isn't to be handled then and maybe get a small tin of the microcrystalline wax for stuff to be handled like fruit bowls and things as I have read it's food safe so can be put ont op of mineral oil.

Yes I have seen about finishing oil I was wondering if wood wax would be good over the top of it but I believe it produces a good finish without. What advantage does adding the wax over the top have? Just additional protection?

Thanks

Wood spinner:
I have used Wood Wax 22 and for me it does leave finger marks, I agree Microcrystalline Wax is a better Finnish.

Bill21:

--- Quote from: morpheus83uk on November 10, 2023, 05:09:29 PM ---What advantage does adding the wax over the top have? Just additional protection?

Thanks

--- End quote ---

I just do it to add an extra bit of shine to the piece. I suppose though it does add a little extra protection?

I’m not sure about the finger print issue but I’ve used some neutral shoe polish (parade gloss) on a couple of pieces and it does seem to give a better shine than Microcrystalline.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version