General Category > General Discussion

how do we take wood turning i to the future

<< < (5/8) > >>

Andy Coates:
This is a huge question, and Ian’s initial question was never a problem. We, the Association, are always open to new ideas. Whether or not these are taken up is another matter. It may be that we simply do not have the time or expertise at a given time. I know I keep labouring the point, but we are a voluntary committee and can only do so much at any one time.

Advertising would be great, but any program of advertisements that would be likely to result in a pay off would be financially crippling for the Association, and leave nothing left to provide the member benefits we offer as inducement. Sadly we are always in the position of weighing the cost benefits of everything we do, even down to whether or not we hold committee meeting face to face or via internet software-based conference calls (which is currently under trial) to save travel costs. We are, as an Association of Members, accountable, and we take that responsibility very seriously. Advertising would no doubt result in an increase in members, but that increase would (IMHO) not balance the outlay.

Over the past six years I have contacted local radio, TV and newspapers countless time to get them interested in doing a piece on an event, and the response has always been “no thanks”. If we could guarantee an kitten getting stuck in a chuck they’d probably come in their droves.
The Prince’s Trust is a possibility for the future, and one we have looked at previously. Once we receive full charitable status we will be in a more solid position to engage with them.

The Association have just recently become a member of Arts England under its Voluntary Arts group, which is an initiative driven through the Department of Business Innovation & Skills, and in fact I am attending a meeting in London on the 30th which is specifically concerned with attracting new blood into craft, specifically young people. I am also now a member (on behalf of the Association) of a government steering group responsible for driving craft forward. I will report on these meetings in future Revolutions and e-bulletins.

The Association have also agreed to sponsor a national competition for voluntary craft groups (www.epicawards.co.uk), which includes those clubs and branches who do voluntary (woodturning, in our case) work in the community. Coombe Abbey club and East Herts would be ideal candidates for this in my opinion, but I know there are many more out there doing their part in spreading the word. We feel that our participation in this type of event/group/program can only serve to put woodturning to the fore where it has previously been left unnoticed and therefore unrepresented.

We now have that representation, and in all honesty we have no guarantee of it proving effective, but unless we put ourselves out there we will never know. On a personal level I have committed to the time involved to prepare, attend, and work towards a positive end. This is not, I should add, a new approach. Reg Hawthorne sat on the Craft Blueprint group and attended meetings in London and Belfast on behalf of the Association, and it is through these kind of groupings that the Association is now considered a “player” and invited to contribute to the new initiatives which derived from it.

So whilst it may not always be apparent, we are always looking at viable avenues for furthering woodturning in the UK. With all the avenues now open for the dissemination of this work, you can be assured that you will be kept up-to-date with developments.

And on a final note: I don't think it helps to compartmentalize any area of woodturning during these efforts. Woodturning is woodturning, and whilst the fresher dynamic of the more "artistic" turning is likely to attract a younger audience, we once again have to remember that the Association respresents woodturners as a whole and not show a bias for one flavour over another.

Andy

Turners cabin:
The work done by your self Andy and the other volantears it to be comended on the higest plane
And i will always offer my suport when ever i can

but what can us individual turners do to help the awgb ? may be that was a better question to ask ??

woody:
I think all that you and others are doing Andy is great and I'm in agreement with Ian it is very commendable I  have been doing demos, teaching and selling in villages fetes and flower festivals in the spalding area for the last 10 years with a lot of success with a large range of ages from children to pensioners but I have now moved so I ask in the local woodturning club if I gave them the details would they take over but no one was interested I am now trying to contact organizers in the new village were I now live so I can  the same here it is very rewarding when a child takes away a bit of turned wood in the form of spinning tops, light pulls and the likes and Mum & Dad are so proud of there little boy or girl some older people also want to go on to have turning lessons in my workshop

Turners cabin:
May be we should get to gether as im trying to start a lincoln woodturning club

woody:
I have sent you a PM Ian with my phone number give me a call

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version