Author Topic: Guess the wood?  (Read 3668 times)

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
Guess the wood?
« on: August 26, 2012, 08:04:57 PM »
Hi All
I recently aquired a load of wood from a chap who had to give up turning, due to respiratory problems. One of these pieces had a couple of wood worm holes in it, so I decided to cut it up into pen blanks. The wood, before I started, was as the colour of the two bottom pieces in the photo, but when cut in half it was the clour of the top two pieces. It could be purpleheart, but I was not aware that it faded that much. Anyone got any ideas? Also the identity of the piece at the top of the picture would be handy as well. I think it's an exotic.
Roger G

thebowlerhattedturner

Re: Guess the wood?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 08:10:19 PM »
Hi Roger,
              the bottom ones look like one of the Rosewoods, not sure about the top one though.
Regards
John BHT

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 09:58:11 PM »
I'm sure Turners Cabin will be along shortly and identify them - from familiarity of their own stock.

But I've got to have a go and I thing the bottom two are Imbuia - Brazilian Walnut.

The next two up possibly Purpleheart but wrong side for grain pattern to be better informed. The top one - My brain is screaming Olive - but... Not full convinced.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline davidbrac

• copper
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 08:53:42 AM »
This website is really useful in identifying wood
http://www.wood-database.com/

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 11:22:22 AM »
hi it all looks like indian rose wood and indian larerl i have both in stock but have not seen ether change colour like that
purple heart dose change colour when first cut it goes like sand but i have not seen any with the streaking in it
has it got any smell ?
is it oily?
any thing else you can tell us about it ?

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 07:44:42 PM »
A bit more info and more pics. The first one is the original pic but with the grain orientation turned. The wood is not oily and it does have a pleasent smell. HITH reckons it smells like tobacco. (before you say, it is not Cotinus, Smoke bush!!!) The second is of the piece Ian says may be Olive, and I kind of agree, but other opinions would be appreciated. The third and fourth ones are of some other timber I won, very dense and heavy. I think the last one is Cocobolo. Any ideas
Roger G

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 09:42:16 AM »
if it smells like pipe tobaco its indian rose wood i have some and love turning it just fopr the smell