Author Topic: Banksia Pod free form (WiP)  (Read 5090 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Banksia Pod free form (WiP)
« on: October 07, 2012, 02:45:10 PM »
The other day I posted a question about Shaping the Foot. I want to know how you identify a foot that fit's with a piece. At the time I was considering this Hollowed Out Banksia. I'd made it but was not sure what foot I wanted on it or what it should look like. I'd made several, all fairly traditional and nothing seemed to suit it or sit well under it.

So today SWMBO wanted to visit an early afternoon boot fair, and there on one of the tables was this driftwood, she spotted it before I did, but 2 bit's at 50p bonus.

The finial is not the finished article, this is beech stained black with a glass jewellery bead inset. The final one will be Blackwood, but the bead (or another one of a different colour) will still be included.

So I've balanced them together and taken a few pics and posted these 2 here.

It is a Work in Progress, still not sure how it will finish but this may be close to the final product.

Comments as you will, other ideas always welcome,

(There is granite base in one of the pics - just to try something different in the photographs).

Thanks for looking (and you lurkers, thanks for peeking!)
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

woody

Re: Banksia Pod free form (WiP)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 03:13:04 PM »
That is fantastic you have without a doubt cracked it there bloody well done yes I say it is  fantastic

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 05:41:49 PM »
I have to say the one on the granite works for me and it looks like you have room on the driftwood foe another, maybe smaller piece to accompany it .Job well done I say.
Regards
John BHT

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 08:23:06 PM »
Thanks for the comments guy's.

John,

yes I agree that it needs something more, I've got my eye on doing something with that hole. Unfortunately it's not quite so open as it appears, there is a bit of wood coming over from the rear guarding it, so a bit of judicial file work may be in order.

With the banksia Pod, the (will be) blackwood finial and the (unknown) driftwood, I think there is enough wood and another bit would not balance. However I've turned a Tauga Nut (Vegetable Ivory) to a sphere and roughly placed it. But I am looking at it, wondering if it's quite big enough!

Another thought would be if I can get a glass sphere to reflect the glass bead, a stroll through eBay might be in order.

Any offers of other ideas folks?

Thanks,

Bryan (Dr4g0nfly)

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 09:18:21 PM »

Bryan, the piece as it is looks ...   how did Woody put it ..  :D ...  He'd have had it Sold by now ..   ;D ..  could as you are thinking do with that ..   ??? .. something in the hole as balance.

Keep them coming.          David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 09:59:21 PM »
David,

Again I'll post a finished picture - when!

I'm getting a feel for what the balance piece needs to be. A couple of test pieces will/should nail it down.

This piece is destined for a club competition, so not for sale - yet (but fingers crossed). Also it's a little outside my normal buyers market but Christmas is coming so hopefully a few different people will see my wares.

'Keep the coming' - well I do have that second piece of driftwood...

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 11:08:03 PM »
Hello Bryan

I like the one without the granite! 8)

I don;t know whether i would add something else - it may be a case of less is more but you;ll lose nothing in trying.

I like your finial - it all works very well together, what a great find the driftwood was.

Cheers Dave

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 11:06:18 AM »
Just had another look at this. How about putting the top of an unturned Banksia nut with smaller shaped finial to make it look as though another is emerging from the small hole?
Just a thought.
Why don't I get these ideas when I want/need them?
Regards
John
BHT

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 08:23:22 PM »
John, what a brilliant idea.

I wanted one of the small species of Banksia but they are not generally available except from people who have them as ornamental plants. My second thought was a closed fir cone, but it would dry and open - not what I want, so unless I turn and carve one (and I can't carve for toffee!)

I also knew I needed a second finial or similar for the opposite bead to give balance.  I'll turn something up tomorrow and see how your idea works.

Thanks,

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 09:29:25 AM »
I like the contrast between the natural and the turned in these pieces. Not too sure about the finial, for my taste it would be better without the glass bead but that is just personal taste. John's idea is worth pursuing. I usually wire brush the root / driftwood when I do these as it highlights the contrast between the two woods as well.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities