Author Topic: Wizardry in wood  (Read 5461 times)

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
Wizardry in wood
« on: October 14, 2012, 04:25:40 PM »
I recently saw Guy Ravine demo`ing & he was telling of the Wizardry in wood exhibition in London.

http://wizardryinwood.com/index.php

I was wondering as it starts on Wednesday 17th if anyone was thinking of attending.

Baby sitters etc willing, I hope to pop down on Wednesday.

Cheers.

Andy Coates

Re: Wizardry in wood
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 06:59:26 PM »
I'll be there on Saturday. Can't make the other days, but have to be there to collect my pieces from the comps. The Mary Rose exhibition alone is worth the entry fee, but aside from that there will be lots to see and be inspired by. Enjoy it, Doug.

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 07:31:39 PM »
Hi Doug
I shall be travelling down on the Wednesday with three friends from our club. I attended the last one and without a doubt it was the best collection of turned work I have ever seen. Fantastic and the setting at the Carpenters hall is great as well. May meet you if I can recognize you.
Roger G

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 10:46:36 PM »
I will be there on Friday along with some of the club members. It's my first time and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm sure the Mary rose exhibition will be worthwhile but I want to see the Faberge pieces.
Regards
John
BHT

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 12:40:58 PM »

I will be there every day on the AWGB stand, please come along and introduce yourself,

Cor blimey guvna five days in the smoke would you adam and eve it lol

Cheers Martin
Martin Lawrence

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 01:34:20 PM »
Cor blimey guvna five days in the smoke would you adam and eve it lol

I recomend a packet of Paracetamol - if you're not used to the polution (I wasn't), you'll need them!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 02:17:24 PM »
Good to see a few are going, unfortunately the babysitters can only do Thursday (what are Grandparents like these days, wanting a life & such like  :o ;D  ;D)
So whilst hopefully I`ll get to meet Martin on the AWGB stand, I wont meet the others that have posted so far, but I hope you all have a most enjoyable day.

Cheers.

Offline chill

• copper
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 11:24:39 AM »
Hi I will be there on the Saturday, with my daughter as she has entered a piece in the Ray Key Youth comp,
Cheers Chris

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 11:55:12 AM »
I'll be there Saturday. Looking forward to it as I managed to get to the last one and it was definitely worth going.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 11:16:51 PM »
Just got back  :o

Had a great day in London, though my feet are sore, I`d agreed to "do the shops" & "wine & dine" the LOML in return for her accompanying me to the exhibition. I`d like to say it had been a cheap day out, I really would have like to be able to  :(

The exhibition of work, the competition pieces & the Mary Rose display were all excellent, though I have to admit I didn`t recognise most of the turners at first glance, they looked so smart, I`m used to seeing them in smocks covered in wood shavings  ;D

But the high light for both myself & SWMBO was the Bert Marsh Retrospective, whilst I`ve seen work previously by most of the mainstream turners this was the first time I`d seen so many of Bert`s pieces in one place & they were fantastic. His work, for me at least, is what turning is about & I`m grateful to have seen this display, it is magnificent.

I also came across this piece

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A5gWcz_CYAAuEGk.jpg

By a chap from these parts, though there didn`t seem to be any notification of which candle stick had come where, so I can`t say how he got on.

All in all an excellent exhibition, well worth a visit.

Cheers.

richardpeers

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 09:27:21 AM »
I went yesterday and had a wonderful time. I met Martin Lawrence and Sarah Faberge, and saw some really inspiring (albeit dauntingly brilliant) pieces. The standard is just getting better and better - both from the professional turners upstairs, and from the craft as a whole as represented by the competition entries in the room downstairs.

The ornamental turnings on display are just sublime. I'd love to be able to produce something even half as good! Anyone selling a Holzapffel lathe for not too much money?  ;D No, didn't think so...  :'(

If you do go, one stand worth visiting is the raffle, in aid of the WCT trust. They are placing computer-controlled lathes in schools for the physically handicapped, which allow the pupils to experience turning (both wood and metal) for the first time. This is a really worthy cause, so please buy a ticket - you might even win an item turned by one of the greats (Stuart Mortimer, Gary Rance, Stuart King were all represented, and more prizes were being added yesterday morning as I visited).

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 08:55:26 PM »
I have just got home after visiting Wizardry in wood. What an amazing experience. The adverts described it as Art, Beauty,Skill and Mystery and it was certainly all of these and more besides.
A truly worthwhile weekend and one that I hope to repeat.
Regards
A very happy
John BHT ;D

The only down side is I didn't set the camera correctly and so I didn't get any pictures. >:(

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 09:30:09 PM »
Got back from the exhibition. Main thing that impressed me was the quality of the workmanship. Even the simple work there (technique wise) reeked of it. Very impressed by the helpful friendly attitude of those exhibiting as well. Thanks to all

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities