Author Topic: New pen order  (Read 4562 times)

woody

New pen order
« on: October 23, 2012, 05:10:27 PM »
The woman next door come in this afternoon and ask me to make her 10 pens as Christmas presents from left to right
 Spalted flame Beech, x cut Spalted beech, African Tulipwood, Sweet Chestnut, Rengas, Spalted Beech, Spalted Burr Oak, Sycamore, Burr Wych Elm and Black Ash

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: New pen order
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 06:16:49 PM »
Hello Woody,Your productivity never ceases to amaze me do you ever go to bed? lol ;D What lovely pens these are.What was the pen kit you used?
                                                  Regards John
John Smith

woody

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 06:38:49 PM »
Hello Woody,Your productivity never ceases to amaze me do you ever go to bed? lol ;D What lovely pens these are.What was the pen kit you used?
                                                  Regards John
They are the cheaper sierra kits from timberbits in Oz £3.50 each http://www.timberbits.com/sierra-pen-kits.html

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 08:04:43 PM »
Woody, Sorry am I reading that right, you import your pen kits from Aus!

Is that not just a little cost prohibitive?

And I had to look up the wood you called Rengas,and to tellt he truth, I'm still not much wiser.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

woody

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 08:24:17 PM »
Woody, Sorry am I reading that right, you import your pen kits from Aus!

Is that not just a little cost prohibitive?

And I had to look up the wood you called Rengas,and to tellt he truth, I'm still not much wiser.

Timberbits is by far the cheapest place to buy pen kits I have been using them for about 4=5 years now as for the Rengas wood try this link  http://www.wood-database.com/

Rengas (Gluta spp.)

Common Name(s): Rengas
Scientific Name: Gluta spp. and Melanorrhoea spp.
Distribution: Indo-Malaysian region

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 06:27:51 PM »

Woody, absolutely stunning, all beautiful gifts, I so like the Spalted Burr Oak, Burr Wych Elm and Black Ash, had to look up the Regas as well: http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/rengas/ ...  untill I read as to it severely dulls cutting tools and common uses turnery, cabinetry and furniture, I don't think the other could be carving as I'd thought as with it being from Indo-Malaysian and it looked like the timber seen use for their carvings.

Well done and I hope the dust id kept at bay.

David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

woody

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 07:14:28 PM »

Woody, absolutely stunning, all beautiful gifts, I so like the Spalted Burr Oak, Burr Wych Elm and Black Ash, had to look up the Regas as well: http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/rengas/ ...  untill I read as to it severely dulls cutting tools and common uses turnery, cabinetry and furniture, I don't think the other could be carving as I'd thought as with it being from Indo-Malaysian and it looked like the timber seen use for their carvings.

Well done and I hope the dust id kept at bay.

David

Hi David don't believe all that you read the Rengas cuts just the same as any hardwood well I didn't notice anything different with it, it turns beautifully and takes an excellent finish  the customer was well pleased with all of them and has ask me to make another pen from the Black Ash for her husband ordered the spalted Burr Oak one is fantastic the photo didn't do it justice I am going to make a more full pen from it just to show the wood of better 

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 07:26:10 PM »

Woody, your in to some excellent results here.  The sign Vac to buy must be working ...   ;D ...  yule be have a good Christmas at this rate ..   ;) ..

Cheers

woody

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 08:07:13 PM »

Woody, your in to some excellent results here.  The sign Vac to buy must be working ...   ;D ...  yule be have a good Christmas at this rate ..   ;) ..

Cheers

LOL The wife is one step in front of you I went to pick up my new glasses today and while the girl was fitting them  she went and picked out a new dress, carpet and curtains so first million goodbye  :-\ :-\ :-[ 

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 02:21:13 AM »

You'll see what she up too better now ....   :) ...   ;D ... :D ..   :'( ...