Author Topic: Fruit Bowl  (Read 2870 times)

Devchef1

Fruit Bowl
« on: February 22, 2013, 08:48:32 PM »
Hi All

A Fruit bowl that i made for your appraisal, i'm pleased with the shape and especially the sides getting them thinner than before ( feeling more confident with my gouges now)

Constructive comments are always welcome , and any advice/ tips please share.

"Round and Brown Round and Brown" :-)

« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:50:16 PM by Devchef1 »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Fruit Bowl
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 09:05:34 PM »
You don't give any detail but to me it looks like White Ash.

Interesting shape, not displeasing to the eye. The thicker foot will give it stability/weight for it's purpose of holding fruit although maybe a little too wide to balance against the rim.

The finish looks done well and in the last picture (inside) looks smooth, no ripples visible across the bowl bottom which is always a good sign.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Paul Disdle

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 09:36:40 PM »
Lovely grain pattern on the inside, looks to me very nicely finished.

Paul

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 09:52:09 PM »
Hello Mike, Nice Bowl I agree the the grain pattern and finish on the inside of the bowl is great I am not quite sure about the form on the outside but as Bryan said the thicker base adds weight an stability.
Did you turn this on your Axminster Lathe?
                                                               Regards John
John Smith

Devchef1

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 10:19:29 PM »
Hello Mike, Nice Bowl I agree the the grain pattern and finish on the inside of the bowl is great I am not quite sure about the form on the outside but as Bryan said the thicker base adds weight an stability.
Did you turn this on your Axminster Lathe?
                                                               Regards John

John,

I left the base thick and heavy as fruit bowls in our house are usually piled high lol , and I found deep fruit bowls bruise the fruit easy due to the weight on top.

And AXMINSTER lathe is brilliant (I treat it like a new baby :) ) gets cleaned down every time I use it , bed gets a wipe with WD 40 after every use , chuck is wrapped up in its oil paper when not in use. So happy with it :)

How you doing with you're new Toy ?

Mike

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »
Hi Mike, I am glad you like the Axminster Lathe an it is nice to see you posting your work.My new lathe is Great I have not done much turning at the moment as I have done quite a few changes in the workshop.Regards John
John Smith