Author Topic: 1st bowl for a while.  (Read 3364 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
1st bowl for a while.
« on: February 22, 2013, 09:45:10 PM »
Seeing Gwilym's vase reminded me that I had some of the verdigris wax on the shelf then Georges post of his bowls also reminded me that I was running low so I had a break from long and thin today to make up some for stock. This one is 9" diameter, wanut, textured and verdigris waxed on the rim and buffed with carnuba. Critique etc welcome but be gentle LOL

pete

P.S. That isn't a hole or a mole in the middle it is a defect in the photograph...honest

Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Paul Disdle

Re: 1st bowl for a while.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 09:58:55 PM »
The dark walnut with the high gloss finish is very appealing. Where is walnut on the friendly wood for beginners to turn scale?

Paul

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 10:10:37 PM »
I am lucky and have a pretty much endless supply of the stuff as offcuts from a furniture factory albeit usually small pieces. It's usually easy to turn though you can get some odd grain in it at times. This is American black walnut buy the way, pretty much the same to turn as the English variety in my experience.

Pete

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 10:31:19 PM »
I wasn't too sure how it would look when finished but I actually like the combination George. More importantly hopefully someone with some cash will as well . Don't fret, I'm no competition for you in the decorated bowl department though LOL.

Pete

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 11:16:24 PM »
You are right in that it isn't what I like that matters but what the people buying like. One of the things I am trying to get my head around and any advice is always welcome. Keep any C&C  coming, I am always grateful for honest opinions, too many 'oooh it's lovely' comments don't help at all.

Pete
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 11:17:58 PM by bodrighywood »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 07:33:18 AM »
Pete,

George raises two good points about wood choice and sales.

I think the verdigris wax on the walnut gives a completely different effect to Gwilym's vase. The green (with the darker background) looks more Emerald in colour - or is that just an effect of the photo. The rim effect with the beads bounding the spiral effect also works for me, giving a visual impact and texture.

But I think the almost mirror like finish of the bowl section is the balance to the darkness of the wood, the fact that it reflects the ambient light, so giving lighter spots as reflections, lightning the overall effect.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

woody

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 11:18:05 AM »
I love it just love it makes me wish I could still turn

arcos

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 01:57:21 PM »
A very nice, classy piece!

The verdigris wax almost makes the outer walnut turn red!

Not a huge fan of walnut. Find it quite 'heavy' on the eye unless its lighter in colour but the verdigris wax seem to take the weight out of the dark walnut some how.

The sheen on the interior is just stunning and with the reflective qualities, again for me, also lightens the dark walnut.