Author Topic: Olive M&P  (Read 4326 times)

arcos

Olive M&P
« on: March 07, 2013, 09:33:30 AM »
Here's an M&P that I turned from home grown olive wood as a replacement for a friend who I actually sold their one to a customer  :-[

Anyway, I think this one is much nicer than the original. Outside is finished with beeswax/linseed soft paste and then pure beeswax. Inside the finish is only around the lip.

C&C as always please

thebowlerhattedturner

Re: Olive M&P
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 10:10:48 AM »
Hello arcos,
                I like the shape  and the outside finish. I think the inside could do with a bit more work with the abrasives though, there are visible turning marks left that could do with being removed. Otherwise a good job.
regards
john BHT

arcos

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 10:19:24 AM »
Thanks for your comments John.

I have had real problems removing turning marks with my home made 6mm round nose scraper and sanding is, how can I say? Tiresome!

I am hoping that with the new chisels I can start eliminating the turning marks that get left. I have been asked to remove the foot so may go back and see what I can do about the marks that are left.

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 11:49:59 AM »
Try relieving the heel of your bowl gouge a little bit, that may reduce the marks left when you cut.
regards
John

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 12:52:45 PM »
Thanks for your comments John.

I have had real problems removing turning marks with my home made 6mm round nose scraper and sanding is, how can I say? Tiresome!

I am hoping that with the new chisels I can start eliminating the turning marks that get left. I have been asked to remove the foot so may go back and see what I can do about the marks that are left.

With olive you should be able to get a pretty good finish limiting the sanding needed. Unfortunately the finish is what people see and will make the difference between a great piece and an OK piece. Try John's recommendation and also try shear scraping with your bowl gouge. Pity to spoil a piece as good as this for the sake of a bit of extra work

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 01:16:35 PM »
Arcos,

The last two posts have suggested you 'relieve the heel of your gouge' and 'shear scrape' - it might be a silly question but as you are relativly new to turning, do you understand the terminology?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 01:52:15 PM »
Good point Dragon This video gives a good example of what I am talking about.

Pete

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 05:20:13 PM »

A nice piece and the Olive, following the advice given for the inside, will finish it perfectly and after all, that's the business part of the mortar, or anything ground will remain in any tear-out, and then cross contaminate in further use.

David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

arcos

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 07:36:25 PM »
Thanks guys...

Ummm no I really didn't understand the terminology so will watch the video with great interest!!

Thanks for the tips and advice!!!  ;D

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 11:02:59 AM »
Good point Dragon This video gives a good example of what I am talking about.
Pete
The video is a reasonable demonstration of shear scraping but I would query his comment about the correct version of sheer/shear. In English we are making a 'shearing' or slicing cut, where the edge is at an angle to the cutting direction. Sheer implies perpendicular. Could be another case of USA spelling!

However, that aside, I would be very concerned by any turner wearing gloves whilst turning, even those (gloves) without fingers. If any part of the glove caught on the turning, the results could be horrendous and you would really be 'without fingers'. And why a glove on only one hand, that suggests he isn't cold?
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 12:25:17 PM »
Fair comment DWC. I have seen quite a few American turners wearing gloves and agree it isn't a safe practice. I put the video up as an example as watching him turn he is using the gouge the same way as I would, not perpendicular. I think it is simply an American spelling difference. Unfortunately most videos relating to woodturning seem to come from there, few UK turners put them up on youtube as far as I can tell and Arcos is not near any experienced turners which would be the ideal.

Pete.