Author Topic: Textured coloured lidded form  (Read 10139 times)

Mark Sanger

Textured coloured lidded form
« on: April 19, 2013, 08:01:10 PM »
Hi all

This piece is another in my 'Impermanence' interest which is being continually tweaked.  

That base has been taken from another piece while I decide on what I want to do with it and so I can spend time looking at it before deciding.

The form is textured and coloured sycamore, 5 1/2 inches dia x 8 inches high. The lid is also sycamore coloured as is the bead. The handle is made from black bamboo which has been steam bent and affixed/wrapped with black twine.

C&C welcome

« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 08:05:11 PM by Mark Sanger »

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Textured coloured lidded form
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 08:10:22 PM »
I really like this piece Mark. The texturing and colouring take this way over into your 'oriental' theme IMHO. For me possibly one of the best you have done at least that I have seen. Is the green colouring done with verdigris wax or something else?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Francesco Dibari

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 09:26:02 PM »
..  love your elegant style ..  :)

Offline Terry Miller

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 09:52:40 PM »
A brilliant piece of work!!!!!
Regards
Terry
Regards

Terry

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 11:06:22 AM »
Mark this is one of the best pieces i have seen well done mate absolutely stunning

Mark Sanger

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 01:05:11 PM »
Hi all

Thank you for your kind comments. I was recently contacted by a mixed media gallery that to date sadly does not stock any wood turned items and have been asked to supply nine pieces from this series. This being the first.

Clavico

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 05:19:39 PM »
Great piece, Mark!!!

Robert

EnErY

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 05:46:03 PM »
well after seeing such stunning work it makes me feel like forgetting to think of showing mine  :'( :'( such elegance beautiful piece
Regards
Bill

Mark Sanger

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 05:49:36 PM »
Hi all

Thank you for your kind comments. I was recently contacted by a mixed media gallery that to date sadly does not stock any wood turned items and have been asked to supply nine pieces from this series. This being the first.

I hope they dont want them for a couple of years  :) :) :)

Ha ha, whats with the negative vibes man, lifes too short to go getting all sweaty with work.   I will chill them out in time for when they are needed.

Actually joking aside. I was contacted by the gallery and not the other way around and they stated that it was my sculptural and 'Impermanence' work that they were interested in and not turned wood as such, so I am quite pleased as I love making these pieces.  The gallery only stocks ceramics/glass, jewellery, and art.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 06:28:51 PM by Mark Sanger »

Mark Sanger

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 05:52:04 PM »
Robert and Bill

Thank you for your kind words.

Bill

Don't ever be afraid to post your work. It is the only way we can all develop.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 06:15:51 PM »
Hello Mark, Another Stunning piece of your work I am pleased the Gallery wants some of your work to display Nine pieces wow I would just like one ;)
It would be interesting when the gallery have these on display if you cold put a link on the Forum. Great stuff Regards John 
John Smith

Mark Sanger

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 06:24:23 PM »
Hello Mark, Another Stunning piece of your work I am pleased the Gallery wants some of your work to display Nine pieces wow I would just like one ;)
It would be interesting when the gallery have these on display if you cold put a link on the Forum. Great stuff Regards John 

Hi John

My work will be 'showcased' in October and December so I have a while. here is the link for info http://www.thegreydoorgallery.co.uk/showcase/

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 09:49:15 PM »
Mark,

I'm sat here watching your DVD 'The Inside Story' and looking at this piece, both are totally inspiring me.

I think for me, with this form, it's the various applied textures, it's almost like looking at a [monochrome] image of an impressionist painting, all the stripes used to construct the picture.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 11:19:19 PM »
Mark,

Beautiful,stunning,a lovely mix of texturing and colouring. The black bamboo works very well and really sets off yet another superb piece.
It'll be interesting to see which base you decide to put it on.
Regards

Roderick
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Mark Sanger

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 04:25:32 PM »
Bryan and Roderick

Thank you for your comments. They are much appreciated.