Author Topic: Square Dish 2  (Read 2154 times)

Paul Disdle

Square Dish 2
« on: April 24, 2013, 10:54:02 AM »
Here is my hopefully improved square dish.

Its 4" square finished with wood wax 22.

You will notice a circular mark just inside the corners. This was not apparent when I had finished sanding, but appeared when the wax was put on. Is the best way to address this to remount and skim the surface or try and sand it out? If i remount do I need to try and remove the wax first?

C &C welcome

Thanks

Paul

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Square Dish 2
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 11:30:58 AM »
Paul,

Much better than the first.

As for the 'ring', not an unusual occurrence on these sorts of platers, also happens on Banana or Angel Wing forms. It occurs where a. the wood wants to flex, and b. where the turner starts to feel a little 'unsure'!

It's not unusual for people normally finish off sanding these by hand.

Or as previously suggested, glue sacrificial block to the four sides, turn it round then cut away and clean up the sides.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 11:40:56 AM »
Hi Paul...that is so much kinder on the eye, a great improvement. Well done for having a go. As for the ring-mark....that happened to me and I simply couldn't sand it out in the normal way. In the end I sanded the whole of the inside of the dish by hand, giving extra attention to the wings, which got the marks out.....BUT, mine was out of mahogany, which I imagine responds better to sanding than your wood, which looks a little harder/denser.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Francesco Dibari

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 02:05:47 PM »
if I can,  give you my 2 cents  :) .. I agree .. this was a problem of vibration, to avoid this , I usually end well the corners of the square and only after i work on the central part ; use small sacrificial martyrs is also a good system  :) ..