Author Topic: Another lump of spalted holly  (Read 1923 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Another lump of spalted holly
« on: October 31, 2013, 10:28:27 PM »
This time a bowl that was great fun to turn, but got scary as the walls got thinner, then a lump flew off (thank goodness for the full-face mask!), but I managed to glue it back into place.
It's riddled with worm holes, bark inclusions, spalting and small areas of decayed wood, but well worth the effort as it is beautiful stuff>

It's size is 8" diam x 5.5" high (20cm x 13.5cm) and the thickness at the rim is about 5mm, but down to 2mm over parts of the wall that started to change shape as I turned it. So far I've just given it a couple of coats of lemon oil, which it is soaking up rapidly, but I'll probably use finishing oil next, although it isn't strong enough to buff!

C&C always welcome...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Another lump of spalted holly
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 10:54:33 PM »
I used t think I was the odd one out tuning things with rot, holes and worm but looks like I have at least one kindred spirit. Must be something int the Celtic blood LOL. Beautiful wood, well turned and have to confess to being a little envious of your source.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 01:04:55 AM »

Another lump ...   ;D ... What .. this is not just any old lump ... Pete is not the only one envious ...

Les, in a short time you've not only brought us some incredible timbers, but pieces as well and this one .. well .. can't fault the finsh nor find the join .. on that note, it's likely you'd changed your underwear from the  :o of the piece flying off, it happens so suddenly I hear ... it may have been small and you had the face mask .. this time .. with a piece like this and the thinner it gets, Listen for changes in sound and check for cracks and the likelihood of things coming loose or off .. only if it should be the odd worm ...   :D .. take care.

Aaaah .. did I mention I like the form worts and all.

Cheers   David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 08:17:17 PM »
Les, I've been looking at this for over a day now, wondering what to say, well here goes...

The smooth flowing curve from rim, via the foot back to the rim is one long smooth shape, almost a perfect parabola, a simple shape but far from a simple thing to get right when turning.

It would look special on any turned item but the spalted holly timber (yes we are all still jealous) is just stunning.

You've turned something special in this, be very proud of it.

Bryan
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 08:43:28 PM »
Thanks so much, guys, for the constructive feedback....I had great fun making this and am already well into the next piece.

Bryan....I've just been contacted by someone who has seen it on my wall on Facebook, and who wants to buy it....your critique just added a few quid to its value!

Cheers guys...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.