Author Topic: What are the Visual Arts ...  (Read 2682 times)

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
What are the Visual Arts ...
« on: November 02, 2013, 10:49:58 PM »

..... and how do we as Turners express ourselves fully or at all in the category ... are we even listed, have a place .. If it is those creations we are able to look at, then it's visual we must be there somewhere, but what form, decorative arts, we're there or are we, is decorative and the Classic Form of a bowl, vase etc .. two of a kind, in the meaning anything that has been created to please the senses, or has it to be everything is painted.

And what of Fine Art .. is it all in the detail.

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: What are the Visual Arts ...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 06:46:20 AM »
Hi Dewi...I'm still finding this a very confusing concept and maybe it doesn't matter! Maybe we could deliberate about this for hours, but when we exhibit our work, either in shops or in galleries, is the belief of 'Jo Public' just as important - he or she is just as likely to call it craftwork.

OK...I'm playing devil's advocate. Of course there's a difference, and at some point the work of the artisan becomes the work of the artist! No sane-minded person could argue that Binh Pho's work is anything but art, and fine art to boot, whether that's with an upper- or lower-case 'F'. When a local artist appraised my 'Steampunk Vase' he told me to take it to a gallery because it should be sold as a piece of art, not as a piece of woodturning. We argued about whether or not it could be both. After all, it was just plain woodturning up to the time when I started adding the silver and the stone, so why should it loose the word 'woodturning' from its description?

I'm beginning to understand the importance of woodturning as a basis for applied art and it's come as a bit of a shock that I've been such a Philistine in the past, believing that it didn't matter what was under the surface - would it have made any difference if Binh Pho had applied his colours to a plastic vase? Of course it would! Binh Pho has created the shape and engineered it to fit his needs. Those of us who turn, and those members of the public who have some feeling for the skills of the turner, will further appreciate Pho's work in the knowledge that he creates the whole piece.

We have been treated to some fine examples lately, by Tony and Diane, of collaborative art-work. There is often just as much 'art' in the form that Tony creates as there is in Diane's work as she applies her finishes to the shapes. This then poses another question. Tony tells us that Diane designs the shape that Tony turns for her, so, if Diane's input ended there, would her work be art? Can the designer who perceives such shapes, but does not turn the concept of the shape into the reality of the finished piece, earn the title 'artist'?

In summary, my opinion is that some of our work is art. Much of what I have seen in the gallery is applied art and just occasionally we break through into the field of fine art.

Les
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 06:48:30 AM by gwyntog »
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 12:13:25 PM »
This unfortunately is a highly subjective topic so much so that we could see all manner of answers of which all can be right.
But I guess in simple terms we can all see and recognize a utility piece and anything other than that is 'art' in some form or another. The problem with that is some untility items as so well turned in so far as the shape and form that many would say its 'art' This simple form is perhaps the most difficult to achieve, but is quickly recognised when seen

The cynics would say if it has no  practical use it  must be art  ;D But I think I prefer the USA  term of 'wood turned art' and whether its art is up to the creator to name it so and let the critics argue other wise.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 07:22:36 PM »
Hughie,

I'm not sure I can completely agree with your 'in simple terms we can all see and recognize a utility piece and anything other than that is 'art''.

There is also a case for Utility to be artistic, as I read your comments the following image jumped into my head, quickly found posted it here as a 'for example...',

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 01:09:19 PM »
Lol I did say 'in simple terms' . Some of the simplest forms be them utility or not can be very beautiful and your example is a good one.