Author Topic: olive wood  (Read 3630 times)

Francesco Dibari

olive wood
« on: November 12, 2013, 05:40:47 PM »
small vase in olive .. Mother Nature has done it all, I have just tried to put in evidence
comments and criticism very welcome ..  ;D

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: olive wood
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 08:17:33 PM »
Hi Franceso...the colour showing in the grain in the first pic reminds me of why we call our discoloured ash heartwood 'olive ash'....they are so similar that this piece so could easily be olive ash. It's an interesting shape, which reminds me of what happens when I breathe out after holding my Breath with my belly drawn in and my chest puffed out - much of the bulk travels south! It's a brave shape, so unlike many that we see and it looks to be really stable, so a functional piece with a curve that keeps going from bottom to top, which is always pleasing, even if it doesn't pay homage to the rule of thirds. Have you been able to hollow out the wider, lower part of the form, or did you settle for keeping the hollowing straight sided?

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Francesco Dibari

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 10:11:13 PM »
Hi Franceso...the colour showing in the grain in the first pic reminds me of why we call our discoloured ash heartwood 'olive ash'....they are so similar that this piece so could easily be olive ash. It's an interesting shape, which reminds me of what happens when I breathe out after holding my Breath with my belly drawn in and my chest puffed out - much of the bulk travels south! It's a brave shape, so unlike many that we see and it looks to be really stable, so a functional piece with a curve that keeps going from bottom to top, which is always pleasing, even if it doesn't pay homage to the rule of thirds. Have you been able to hollow out the wider, lower part of the form, or did you settle for keeping the hollowing straight sided?

Les

Hi Les, I used to dig the Sorby Hollow Master and following the outer shape, I closed the curve of the base leaving a "false foot" about 5 centimeter and has a good stability
many thanks for your comment ..  ;D

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 11:09:33 PM »

Hi Franceso, a quirky little piece, if it reminds me of anything it's of a gourd in shape, it's one beautiful piece of Olive.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Francesco Dibari

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 06:50:34 AM »

Hi Franceso, a quirky little piece, if it reminds me of anything it's of a gourd in shape, it's one beautiful piece of Olive.

Cheers  David

many thanks for your comments David  ;D

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 07:36:35 PM »
Franceso,

a simple but elegant piece by your normal standards but then it's much harder to make a simple piece look right than a really complex work.

You are right, Mother Nature hides some wonderful patterns in Olive, you've done her proud in releasing them.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Francesco Dibari

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 01:51:48 PM »
Franceso,

a simple but elegant piece by your normal standards but then it's much harder to make a simple piece look right than a really complex work.

You are right, Mother Nature hides some wonderful patterns in Olive, you've done her proud in releasing them.

too kind dr4g0nfly thanks for your comment  ;D