Author Topic: Othello playing pieces  (Read 2699 times)

kasandrich

Othello playing pieces
« on: December 09, 2013, 02:25:01 PM »
I have been asked by a Cousin, if I could make him some Othello playing pieces.

In essence these are very simple round disks, dark one side light the other, and they number 64 in total.

He has asked for circa 50mm diameter and 6mm thick.

The simplest would be to turn a parallel 50mm spindle, and slice off 6mm slices, then stain one side.

Obviously that would not be very attractive, so I was considering a slight dishing on each side, and some decorative circular grooves, this would help them lay flat and be more decorative.

However, if I do it as above, a disk of 50mm dia, an 6mm think in end grain, would be weak and liable to crack.

So then I thought it must be made from cross grain, which makes the blank/s much more difficult, but the resultant 50mm x 6mm thick cross grain disk would be liable to warp and still be relatively weak and liable to crack.

The ideal would be two cross grain 3mm disks and laminate them with the grain perpendicular to each other, that would give the strength and stability, and using two different woods would give the 2 colours required naturally, however, this would be twice as much turning work, plus the extra laminating work, bearing in mind I need to make 64 pieces thats quite considerable, and knowing my own limitations I suspect that there would be enough difference in sizes and errors in the lamination to spoil the effect of the finished article.

Does anyone have any suggestions, of how to go about this?

Only alternative I can think of is to use ply wood and cut out circles with a hole cutter, then sand up the edges.....but then they are not turned pieces.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Othello playing pieces
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 04:07:04 PM »
I will tell you how I would do it, which is not necessarily the best way, but having done something similar I know it works.
make 2 faceplates,1 to fit the chuck in the headstock, the other to fit the live centre in the tail stock. They should both be the finished diameter of the pieces you are making,fix rubber mat to each piece.
Plane up the wood to 3mm thick , either laminate first or cut and laminate the 2 pieces together, cut into slightly oversize squares.
Hold each square in compression in the faceplates just made and turn to round and size,sand and polish the edges.
 Make an insert from wood to fit your chuck jaws and hold the discs without marking them,sand and polish or turn, sand and polish reverse each piece and do the other side.
Regards
John BHT

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 07:02:50 PM »
I love John's reply. Having grown up in the Mediterranean and watched the locals make their own Othello and Go boards I's have suggested their solution, collect 64 small disk shaped pebbles and paint one side black and the other leave plain or paint white.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

kasandrich

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 10:48:11 PM »
Thanks John, thats an approach I had not thought of, but it would make the repetitive bit fairly quick and easy to handle.

I am starting to think in terms of using birch ply for its stability, and that would work well with your above technique.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 09:04:43 AM »
Ahh, using birch ply allows you to do something different.
Turn as described and then apply another piece of wood to the revolving ply and burn the edge. That will give a good effect and will help seal the edges.
Regards
john BHT