Author Topic: Lidded urn  (Read 2063 times)

Offline malcy

• gold
Lidded urn
« on: February 25, 2014, 08:06:49 PM »
My version of the lidded urn shown in November 2013 edition of Woodturning magazine. Thanks to Mark Sanger for the article and know how. Wood is Sycamore left plain to show the grain. Comments welcome.

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
Re: Lidded urn
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 08:27:35 PM »
Hi Malcolm

Nice little urn, nice grain in the sycamore. As it's such a light timber I'd like to see it photographed again with the black background fabric, I think that would set it off really nicely. I'm a great fan of Mark Sanger and it's a change to see a simple functional item like this. The dark line at the base compliments the dark knob and works well.

Regards
Roderick
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 11:08:42 PM by Roderick Evans »
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 10:45:53 PM »
Very nice, I like the simple grain and I must agree the black knob with the black line at the base set's it off.

Ed

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 08:35:22 AM »
I can certainly see Marks influence in the shape of the body, or is that just because you mention him?

It is a really attractive shape and the lid sits well with it as an overall shape - unfortunatly the lid needed to be undercut as it is proud of the body causing the gap to appear.

That notwithstanding, it is well turned and finished and pleasing to the eye.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!