Author Topic: Goblets on platter  (Read 2947 times)

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
Goblets on platter
« on: February 26, 2014, 01:59:47 AM »
This is a set of four goblets made from cherry wood and a shallow dish made of butternut.
Thanks for looking. Any comment is more than welcomed.
Sorry for the double picture.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 02:02:26 AM by Sevilla »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Goblets on platter
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 08:31:11 AM »
Sevilla,

an attractive collection. I'm not sure about the green on the LH goblet stem as it seems a but blotchy but the the red petal flecks and the red on the other goblets does work for me.

Ans all nicely finished to a good standard.

As soon as I see the platter is made of Butternut, I'm fairly sure your from America, as it's not a timber we see here in the UK, so hopefully I right in saying welcome to another of our international woodturning friends.

Thanks for your posting.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 11:31:17 AM »
Nice group of goblets on the platter,is the baize on the bases to hide the screwchucking point,nice to see some random colouring on the goblets as well as the flower designs,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 04:15:20 PM »

Sevilla, I really like these, puts me in mind of an old style, could be colonial... Dutch art .. :-\ ..

All have a delightful form and the colors are brilliant in design.

They go well on the platter, nice piece, next round (drinks) JD.. Bryan picked up on the butternut.. more common white walnut .. Juglans cinerea .. native to the eastern United States and southeast Canada. But then will travel.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 09:30:02 PM »
Although different they work well as a gropup/set. The colours add a different dimension and look really nice on the plain platter.
Welcome to the forum.
Regards
Roderick
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 02:54:25 AM »
Thank you all. Yes live in Connecticut where butternut trees are unfortunately dying but I'm  italian.
The baize (had to look on the dictionary) is for the lead shots I put to stabilize the goblets. Furthermore it is used in many vases. By the way, the goblet with the green stem (I agree not so subtle) has a shape I got from the picture of a single Tiffany glass that recently sold at an auction for $100000.
Cheers.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 08:05:37 PM »
By the way, the goblet with the green stem (I agree not so subtle) has a shape I got from the picture of a single Tiffany glass that recently sold at an auction for $100000.

Sevilla,

Thanks for that, it's always good to see where other turners get their inspiration.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!