Author Topic: Frantic weekend  (Read 2929 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Frantic weekend
« on: March 23, 2014, 07:01:08 PM »
After a stressful week in work I could have done with a rest, but an order from the shop for urgently needed stock, meant that there was to be no rest.

They wanted to try a new line  -  'Desk-pots'. A great way of using up offcuts and fun to make. This was a batch of 8 samples just to see how they went.

...next came an alder burr bowl with loads of natural features. I had a bit of trouble with this because the wax got stuck into all the little nooks and crannies, so I flash-flamed it with a blow-torch, which melted the wax build-ups and now it looks just fine!

...this one's a 10" diam x 2" deep bowl in rippled, spalted olive-ash. The wood was exceptionally hard and really tested me.

...this was tricky (for me) and I had to glue much of the bark as I went along, but it's all quite solid now. It's alder burr (again) 12" diameter, the back being 6" high, whilst the front is only 2" high and I really struggled to stop the rim of the bowl flexing, given that it was so fragmented. It'll be a while before I try anything like that again.

...this bit of pippy yew was a delight to work and took such a fine finish.

...a lovely piece of brown oak resulted in this 12" platter...

...whilst this humble little piece of oak made a small, but none-the-less useful bowl..

...now this was a treat, a fine piece of spalted elm that was a dream to work. It cut easily and sanded well, taking a good finish. It's made a 12" diam x 2" deep bowl...

and finally...a sizeable lump of alder (not burr, this time) resulted in a 12" diam x 4" deep bowl. The wood was quite soft to cut and tricky to get a finish on.

There was also a few other bits and pieces, but tonight I shall open a bottle and take a rest, knowing that I'll have earned a nice little packet and I've used all locally-sourced timber. :)

Les

« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 09:13:08 PM by gwyntog »
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Frantic weekend
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 10:06:30 PM »

Les, You're not just due opening a bottle, but that rest too, 16 very nice piece, should be a nice little earner.

Only one is the brown oak, you've over cut the very centre, lost the nice flat surface ... then that's the view of just a critical turner who faults it, the piece will still sell well.

Trust you have a better week ahead.

Cheers  Dewi
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 05:53:04 AM »

Only one is the brown oak, you've over cut the very centre, lost the nice flat surface ...

Cheers Dewi....I agree with your comment - it's a feature of flat-bottomed bowls and platters that I struggle with.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 06:37:43 AM »
Well that look's like one very very busy weekend!!!! You must be pleased with the outcome.

Ed

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 09:35:56 AM »
Congratulations Les, some very nice pieces there. I think it would take me the weekend to make just one of these items so well done and I am sure they will sell well.  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 08:59:22 PM »
Les,

you output is prodigious, never mind about your ability to turn a wide range of designs and finish them well.

Hats off to you Sir,
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 12:11:09 PM »
blimey,that`s a month`s work for me.
welcome to my woodturning world