Author Topic: Third Spun Platter  (Read 2270 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Third Spun Platter
« on: April 13, 2014, 07:46:04 PM »
This is the 3rd Platter, I've used hair dye. the bright colours kids do their hair with these days, just to see what it looks like.

Comments as you will, and thanks for looking.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Third Spun Platter
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 09:12:48 PM »

Hair Dye ...  now Bryan .. did you chip a bone or are you grounded as Rosemary mistook your bottles and now has hair a brighter shade of !!!!! and unable to go out...  :D ..

This has worked well and very effective, has it been a cheaper means than the usual stains/finishes.

E-plus .. as the bowl and rim look 50/50 for scale, not out of place as it could have been too much color.

Cheers   David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 09:32:18 PM »
I like the shape and the proportions, but the colour of this one doesn't do it for me.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 09:56:07 PM »
Now, Now David,

Rosemary knows the young lady that donated the hair dye, until her unfortunate turn of events we worked at the same place (different offices mind).

The only thing I don't know is how UV resilient it is, so it's sat near a sunny window to see if it fades or otherwise changes colour. I'll keep you posted

As to what the stuff is, I've no idea. It seems to be water based (no discernible smell), colours whatever it touches almost instantly (must use protective gloves). Comes as a thick not quite pourable paste that can be thinned with water and brushed on. And lots of wonderful an amazing colours in the range.

Les,

Thats fair, actually it looks better in the photo than real life, the colour blend did not work too well and the delineation between the colours is not as smooth as I'd have liked. And no, water or meths, had no effect on it, once the colour was down it almost set straight away. But you know me, if I can find a new colour source I'll try it.

Tried kiddies wax crayons once - they don't work - so you can strike that idea off!

But actors greasepaint is good stuff to use.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 10:41:11 PM by dr4g0nfly »
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 10:17:59 PM »
I like the colours, very striking.