Author Topic: Spalted Holly Hollow Form  (Read 3161 times)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Spalted Holly Hollow Form
« on: May 10, 2014, 07:49:39 PM »
My latest hollow form spalted holly 300mm x 230mm (excluding lid) wall thickness 8mm splits started to appear so finished with CA glue burnish and waxed.

All C & C's welcome

Thanks

Ed

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
Re: Spalted Holly Hollow Form
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 08:03:35 PM »
Hi Ed
A lovely piece of spalted Holly. You've achieved a lovely shape in the form and I think I'd prefer it as it is without the finial......but that's only my personal opinion. Can't beat these spalted pieces.
Regards
Rod
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 08:11:28 PM »
Spalted Holly, my new favorite wood.

The form is great, nice flowing curves, the wood, well see above, but I'm not overly sure about the lid shape, looks a bit heavy for it's height and without matching curves of the main form, sits awkwardly.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 09:55:37 PM »

Ed, you've cooked up another nice piece, interesting, stewed over this one as to what best to post, something as Bryan commented with the lid, it's more a mindset in thinking of it as being a finial than a lid should that be the case, will come back a few times, see it differently likely each time.

Well done, cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 07:05:12 AM »
Holly would be my last choice of wood for a large HF as it is so prone to splitting /warping , so if this piece remains in good order  ( without too much superglue ) then you have done very well indeed !!.... What hollowing tool have you used ?  ...Terry...

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 08:08:23 AM »
Hi Terry & All

I use the Crown Revolution hollowing system and it works well but I've also just tried the Rolly Monrowe hollowing tool which I think I prefer so that will be my next purchase.

Your right about the splitting hence it's finish, it's had three coats of CA sanded in between coats, burnish and then a wax hence the sheen.

I understand the comments about the lid, this is my first go at putting a top on something, I did a thin finial but it looked wrong with the size of form so I went for a lid which I'm unsure about, I think that I'll try another top watch this space :)

Ed

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 02:12:02 PM »

Well Ed, on reflection the lid would/could benefit with refine/definement, overall the dimensions are about right, but break the current form with fillets as transitions, creating defined beads, coves and more an ogee at the base, the center part is a little oversize, some would make this to reflect the main body of the form here, Bryan made this as a comment as well.

It's difficult as to what is correct in a form and we've all got an idea, it's creating it that's hard.

Cheers David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 08:18:57 PM »
Like David, I've been looking at this and think the tall lid is wrong.  Try a flatter lid, but add an unusual something as the knob.

Look to Mark Sangers work, he uses (makes) Chilli's or uses bamboo, or Andy Coate's work, for something larger and more outlandish that brings something new to the work.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 08:26:06 PM »
sea glass, pewter, twigs, all can be used. Marks chillies were meant to rot as an experiment if I remember correctly. Don't know if he carved one for a later piece.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Mark Sanger

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 09:07:31 AM »
Ed

This is is a beaut piece. Holly is one of our native timbers that induces a high percentage of movement 10% tangentially so is best turned thin to finish so it can move without cracking. You may have some results first roughing out but you will have to slow the seasoning right down or it will more often than not crack.   

It is worth knowing the shrinkage rates of some of the woods we turn as this gives an indication of how best to turn it. Like I say holly is best turn thin 2-3 mm so is not best for forms with lids.

This data base is an excellent recourse.   http://www.wood-database.com/wood-identification/#h hope it helps.

Mark Sanger

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 09:09:59 AM »
sea glass, pewter, twigs, all can be used. Marks chillies were meant to rot as an experiment if I remember correctly. Don't know if he carved one for a later piece.

Pete

Hi Pete

Only the first chilli form I produced had a real chili on the top. The rest since made are carved and finished in automotive spray as for obvious reasons customers want some longevity to their purchase especially at my prices  :) . I have included a pic in the gallery for you to look at, is it real or carved ??

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 05:14:36 PM »
Thanks Mark well it looks like it's life could be short lived  :), the trunk had been in a wood store for sometime (years) so fingers crossed.