Author Topic: CA Fumes  (Read 6903 times)

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
CA Fumes
« on: December 31, 2014, 10:11:42 AM »
I am going to make some pens and use CA as finish. I have just read that it is helpful to have a vacuum running near the turning ( which I do anyway ) to suck the fumes away. Sounds good but I am wondering if there is any volatility issue ? Is it safe to suck fumes into a sawdust filled bag ?
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Ryan Davenport AWGB

Re: CA Fumes
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 10:17:16 AM »
Please remember saw dust is actually explosive, do you have a microclene or something similar? I have the SIP version as they are loads cheaper (cost me £45 from e-bay).
Also do you have any health issues that the CA may affect (asthma etc).
The accelerator (if used) is just as dangerous too.

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 10:20:12 AM »
Industrial extraction systems actually have a "blast gate" fitted to them due to the risk of explosion.

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 10:28:20 AM »
Also microcleane's are easily made if you have an old extractor lying around

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 10:35:11 AM »
I already have a micro clean, though not with the fumes filter.
Not sure what you are saying about the vacuum, Do you know CA fumes to be explosive ?
Regards
Graham

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 10:38:55 AM »
Potentially it is yes, dust is also explosive, a respiratory system is the safest bet in my eyes, one that's suitable for spray painting (or if you have an old sf10 lying around with good filters)
Better to be safe than sorry (or dead)
The fact is the fumes may react with the dust in the bag and the pressure the bags under does not help
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 10:40:30 AM by Ryan Davenport AWGB »

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 10:54:20 AM »
I just switch on the fan that lives next to the lathe, it takes all of the issues away from the work area.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 10:59:16 AM »
REMEMBER a fan doesn't actually get rid of the fumes is just blows them around, spraying masks cost around £15 on eBay, better to save you're lungs (better to be safe than sorry), CA manufacturers only take off breathing apparatus once they are safely out of the "fume" area.
CA can cause crystal to form on you're lungs!
Safety first is my motto.
Also remember sleeves:  http://youtu.be/N9grSq-TWMQ
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 11:01:04 AM by Ryan Davenport AWGB »

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 11:01:01 AM »
I just switch on the fan that lives next to the lathe, it takes all of the issues away from the work area.
yeah, well.
I have a huge extractor fan built into the window next to where the lathe USED to be. I have put the new one on the other wall opposite the windows so the extractor is now behind me. :) Don't want to move the lathe now.
Regards
Graham

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 11:04:16 AM »
If you're external extraction is sufficient then you should be fine (consider a cheap spraying mask though), best way to test is to get or make a smoke pellet and make sure it's escaping sufficiently
Blue or red smoke works best

woody

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 12:35:23 PM »
Your best bet is a carbon filtered face mask to stop you breathing the fumes in an extractor will not filter the fumes it will just chuck them back in the workshop this is the one I use http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-Spray-Paint-Dust-Mask-respirator-06941-FREE-filter-/261189725289?pt=UK_Air_Tools_and_Compressors&hash=item3cd01eec69

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 12:42:51 PM »
I use a carbon filtered mask, I find them the best ones for these types of fumes

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 09:29:01 PM »
I will hove serious thought to a carbon filter mask, and playing with a smoke bomb sounds like good fun but they ( the ca fumes ) would have to pass me to go out the extractor. I will have a plat around when I see how much of a problem it is.
Regards
Graham

andersonec

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 12:17:34 PM »
I think that saying "sawdust is explosive" is too broad a comment and is doing nothing but putting the fear of god in people who have a workshop. to make sawdust explode it must be under special circumstances and there must be special conditions present at the time and the main ones are;
1. The dust must be in a very high concentration
2. The sawdust must be 'contained' and not floating in the air and preferably under compression.
3. There must be an 'ignitor' i.e. something to initiate the explosion such as an electrical spark within the container.
There are other requirements but those three are the main ones, purely having a dusty workshop does not warrant an explosive situation. It does however point towards bad lungs. It's like sawing "Flour or sugar or fertilizer is dangerous because it is explosive" These things are in everyday use but given the same conditions they (and lots of other stuff) will explode.

We used to make very large craters with a mixture of Diesel and fertilizer.

Andy
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 12:25:53 PM by andersonec »

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 12:26:43 PM »
Floating dust CAN ignite, it's not about scaring people, it's about making people aware of the dangers, there is not enough "common knowledge" surrounding the dangers in ANY workshop, hence why there are hundreds of accidents every year.
    Health is a very important thing to keep correct (unfortunately a lot of miners know this), you should always put safety and health first, it's better to be safe than sorry.
    I don't mean to panic anyone,  I'm simply pointing out facts, and even though the explosive potential is low it still exists and prevention is better than cure or consequence.
Hope everyones had a great New Year
All the best