Author Topic: More hollow forms  (Read 4391 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
More hollow forms
« on: May 31, 2015, 09:39:08 PM »
One might be liked one probably won't be LOL. First one is old apple wood with a rosewood finial. The finial has a gilded lower section that can be seen through the natural slit in the side of the vessel. It is about 27mm tall. Second one is laburnum again with a natural split in the side and is approx 20mm tall. Both turned to 7mm thick. C&C welcome.

Pete

Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: More hollow forms
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 09:44:35 PM »
Hi Pete I like the Laburnum but I think it would be better if you lose the foot.

Regards George
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 09:35:09 AM by GBF »
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 09:56:26 PM »
Hi Pete I like the apple but I think it would be better if you lose the foot.

Regards George

You surprise me George, I thought that would be the one most people wouldn't like. Thank you

Pete

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 10:34:35 PM »
To be honest Pete I think the other one has to many elements and none of them in my opinion compliment each other
Another Mish mash LOL

Regards George

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 10:39:32 PM »
That applies to the apple one I'd have thought not the laburnum one. I am in two minds about that one myself.

Pete

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 10:50:05 PM »
Sorry Pete I have got them mixed up it is the Apple I don't like and the Laburnham that I do like.
It is an Age thing.
Sometimes I think you don't know when to stop adding bits and bobs only my opinion of course I think you over complicate things.

Regards George

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 08:33:36 AM »
Pete,

The tall apple vase is a great shape but I've got to pick on the foot like George.

I think the connection method lets it down. An undercut tenon so it sits over the joint would have hidden the connection better. It's a bit obvious it's another piece of timber.

Another thought, the finial, at first I thought it was reversable (could go in either way up) but then I saw it couldent, but it's an idea you could persue on another piece. And I do like the boldness of it, big, brash but looks right.

The laburnum vase, I like but I think the crack needs something more. Not Les' staples but more like leather thonging, so it looks like it's stiched up, you could then call it mixed media, and therefore Art!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 08:55:56 AM »
Thank you for the feedback. The apple piece is actually all one piece of wood Brian. I had thought about the thonging but as the graining in the laburnum follows into the split to an extent decided to leave as is. I have another piece with the split continuing so may do the thonging in that one. I have some leather lace for the job. Hadn't thought of a reversible finial, something worth looking into though.
George: I agree that I can have a tendency to do one thing too many sometimes. I had the apple one originally with no finial but it looked wrong on it's own, at least I thought so. Often these things get changed as they sit around for a while before going into sale. Might end up different altogether. keep the feedback coming though as everyones opinion is of value be it pro or con.

Pete

GREEN MAN

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 07:06:24 PM »
Nice work Pete

I can't believe you can get so much detail in something so small 27mm and 20mm tall - amazing!

Kind regards

David

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 07:19:46 PM »
Ok Ok I left a '0' off LOL. having said that I am tempted to have a go as I have done a load of dolls house furniture for a commission once. Goblets were the hardest thing, getting the proportions right on something to 1/12th scale was really hard.

Pete

GREEN MAN

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 07:26:56 PM »
Aha! I thought crikey Pete's got good eyesight  ;D ;D

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 07:58:09 PM »
This is one of the pieces I had to make. They wanted a vase that was the equivalent of 12" tall. It worked out to be just over 25mm tall when done to 1/12th scale. Obviously not actually hollowed out but I did drill into it so it looked hollow.

Pete

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 10:17:43 PM »
Pete,

a long time ago someone who made dolls house miniatures told me that the hardest thing was to get the grain in scale, he suggested Apple to emulate Oak and Box as beech because of the close grains they have.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 10:34:06 PM »
Pete,

a long time ago someone who made dolls house miniatures told me that the hardest thing was to get the grain in scale, he suggested Apple to emulate Oak and Box as beech because of the close grains they have.

He was right. ash and oak are useless. I used quite a lot of old furniture wood such as mahogany as the grain was often so full of lacquer and sediment that when sanded it all filled up and gave a better sort of image. Another trick was to rub bees wax into the wood then sand back as it filled it up. I think a lot of modern miniature work is now done in acetate etc and then painted.

Pete