Author Topic: Well I gave it a good go!  (Read 4089 times)

Offline Katchin

• bronze
Well I gave it a good go!
« on: August 02, 2011, 09:25:23 PM »
 Unfortunately I have decided to give up woodturning for the time being.
My reasons are varied, but mainly financial, due to redundancy and having to take a lesser job. I am not comfortable at all turning wood without some decent extraction as it really is effecting me, and funds do not allow right now. My space is also very limited, and a lot of what would normally live outside is in places such as the kitchen! or living room! Great if I need a hosepipe whilst watching tv I guess!
I do enjoy wood turning but have not had great results  ;D I realise that I would probably improve, as would my sharpening! But all things said and told, time to quit for now.

Hopefully I will restart in a few years.

I will advertise all my gear in the sales section, but if anyone knows somebody whom is looking for a job lot, even better.

I will continue to look at your results of course.

Cheers,
John.
John Simon Lawrenson

theblindwoodturner

Re: Well I gave it a good go!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 10:02:19 PM »
it's a shame to hear that and I know how expensive the turning game is. Don't give up on it. practice is one of those things. I was like that many years ago when I first started turning but after seeing things from another angle, my turning career keeps me going.

could you PM me with a list of what you're selling please as I am looking to expand the workshop for teaching work and maybe to help out a young lad who is also blind to give him something worthwhile to do.

cheers mate and take care.

Offline Philip Greenwood

• bronze
  • Professional Woodturner. North Yorkshire
    • Woodturning into Art
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 10:07:03 PM »
Hi John

Sorry to hear you want to give up, don't rush into selling all your gear if you change your mind you will have to buy new equipment. My advice is to hold on to it for now.

Phil

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 10:15:21 PM »
very true phil. I agree on that. Sorry I asked about the equipment sale.

Think vary carefully before you sell up. Equipment prices are sky rocketing now with VAT and manufacturing costs, etc. so keep hold of it unless you're absolutely 100% certain

take care

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 06:02:17 PM »
My adviice would be to keep the gear and take up turning logs and foundling rather than storebought timber. The outlay is reduced to merely the electricallisity. Build a pole lathe and even that expence disapears.
All the best
Brian

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 06:31:37 PM »
a cracking idea. It's worth having a bow saw if you're not equipped with a chainsaw so you can cut your wet material. Green turning to be honest is a pleasure of mine and if you've not tried it already, give it a go. only thing to keep an eye on is the logs you acquire. splitting is inevitable  so it's best to rip a log in two and remove the pith to stabilise it.

Avoid softwoods like spruce and connifer woods as these are poisonous in terms of dusts generated. the smell is intense and the finish as shocking as a cow speaking english for the first time.

lew

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 08:18:24 PM »
Hello John

Sorry it's not going to plan.  Having seen your place  I know what you mean about the space.

Good luck in the future

Cheers Dave

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 11:06:37 PM »
Hello John,
               I have not had much time lately to do any posting but after reading your post about selling up I feel compelled to post to you.In the days when I used to recieve a pay packet on a Friday(Oh those halcyon days!)I was turning as a hobby and through various reasons I gave up and sold all my kit.From the moment I sold it I regretted my decision and made a pact with myself NEVER to sell tools or equipment again.When I set up again I was staggared at the cost of tools and machines and felt that I could never replace the tool quality and diversity that I had before. For ages I found myself looking for tools in the chest that I no longer had. You can address the extractor issue by going to the dump and getting an old vacuum cleaner and sorting out some tubing, that will do temorarily. Your previous postings in the gallery show that you have a talent, this means you have the ability to produce something that others may wish to purchase. You may not earn a living at it(as I do) but you will always be able to make and sell things and so subsidise your hobby if not your household income.
I'm sorry if you feel that I am ranting but I do feel you should think again. Even if you pack it all away at least you still have the option there.
Regards
John
BHT