Author Topic: Finial Lidded Yew Box  (Read 2538 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Finial Lidded Yew Box
« on: January 17, 2016, 08:32:41 PM »
Yew box with large finial. Was not sure it would work as I don't normally like this sort of finial andthe brake point is in the centre but it looks balanced to me.

125mm high x 70mm wide

Comments & Critiques welcomed.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Finial Lidded Yew Box
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 08:36:55 PM »
I love the wood and like the design but for me there is just too much going on with both together.....if that makes sense. SWith all the grain etc in the wood I think that a much simpler style would have been better. Guess that all boils down to personal taste.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 09:09:46 PM »
I am with Pete here. The grain is lovely, the finish is perfect, but there's some visual confusion between the quite bold shape and the colouring of the wood.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 12:49:51 AM »
i really like this one bryan, but why is there so much torn grain on the sapwood?

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 12:28:03 PM »
Thanks for the feedback folks. It's an interesting shape that came out while I was playing. I might try it again in a less busy timber and see if it looks better.

Steve,

Your comment about Torn Grain got me. It's not the grain, I (or the wife) must have touched it with something that has lifted the polish that will need refinishing. I know I refilled my Sanding sealer pot so possibly I had some thinners on my glove I never noticed.

It will not be going anywhere anyway. If you look right at the tip of the finial, you'll see a pith breaking through. Pure chance as it's a slice of yew from the edge of a trunk, not branch wood but there must have been something growing through there.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 06:05:37 PM »
A great piece of wood and really shows in the lower section. I kept looking at it and the birds beak on the finial just does not sit right in me eyes. A well turned and finished piece all the same and ashame about the pith in the very top