Author Topic: Green monkey puzzle.  (Read 2520 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Green monkey puzzle.
« on: January 23, 2016, 07:10:49 PM »
I have just been given a 3' length of monkey puzzle complete with teo sets of eyes. It's about 12" diameter and was cut down about two weeks ago. I have only ever had this wood dried previously so no experience of it green. Looking at it I don't fancy turning it as is as it is oozing a pus like sap and I suspect it would make a right mess of my lathe, tools and me. Anyone know different? Any suggestions about it being awful stuff so give it to me me be politely ignored LOL.

Pete
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 01:02:33 PM by bodrighywood »
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline TWiG

• gold
Re: Green monkey puzzle.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 06:37:04 PM »
Pete ,I have turned a fair bit of it and it seems to attract interest and sells OK !!   Firstly I would strip the bark off as the sticky resin is in this and the cambium layer and not in the wood as such , although the wood can be very wet it turns much nicer when green/ part dry  than when dry / seasoned .   Orientation of the blank to get the knots in the best position takes a bit of thought .  If turning a bowl I am sure you are aware that you will be turning it end grain , this is OK whilst roughing it out , it is not that easy getting a good finish off the tool on  the inside when dry  , but it does sand easy , also there is not a lot of distortion whilst drying and it does not crack whilst drying as readily as other woods ( beech, sycamore , oak etc ) .  One way of getting a bowl to look good is turn the inside shape first , and stopping when the knots appear to radiate from the centre , also MP has a large pith which  I usually plug it with a pale wood or piece of MP .  For hollow forms just go ahead from green , the knots look better ( I think ) on the upper half of the form , also the knots although harder than the rest of the wood have not given me any problem in turning or hollowing .  There is a guy in Cornwall called David Trewin  who is always after it and turns a lot of it ..... hope this helps .. Terry ..

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Green monkey puzzle.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 07:32:30 PM »
Thank you terry. I have turne it before when dry but never had it complete with bark etc. Your advice helps a lot.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities