Author Topic: demonstrators training day.  (Read 9248 times)

Offline wider

• gold
demonstrators training day.
« on: February 21, 2016, 05:32:12 PM »
on Saturday I was down at Derby doing the demonstrators training day. it was a very good day ran by Dave Atkinson. the day started of with a ice braking introduction from all participants. then we went on to get a bit of info as to what denotes as a good 5 minuet talk. then we all went through our talk. I was first and was very shaky and nervous so I ended up what I thought struggling with my speech but it was finished in the time needed. the debrief came that I did ok and was advised to change it around that the end became the beginning so I feel I have learned from this. all the rest went through there and then we went through our demo after a well earned dinner at the local fish and chip shop.
  my demo went reasonably well and in the time I was to do it in.  the critic was took on board and hope that I have learned from it.
  I would say that if any one out there are considering doing this training day that you will really enjoy the day and learn from it. even if it is only to demo at your local club.
So AWGB thank you for putting this day on and hope to get more in the near future. hope to complete the instructors assessment next.

Offline Haggy

• bronze
  • "You can keep your ashes in that " Wife
Re: demonstrators training day.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 05:46:23 PM »
Hey Wider,
It was a great day and we all learnt a lot too!
I have a photo of you hard at work before things went air borne!
Do you mind if I put it on this thread for you and others to see?
I loved your clever hole drilling jig.
A big thanks to Dave for giving us his time and wisdom.
Pleased you got home safely.
       Haggy

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 07:02:21 PM »
Thank you guys

It was a really good day and everyone should be able to do a good demo now.

The input from around the table made my job much easier

Cheers save

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 08:54:47 PM »
many thanks Dave well enjoyed it. Paul by all means put the photo on of me turning.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 11:14:44 PM »
Sounds like you all had a good day. Another feather in the AWGB cap.

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 11:22:41 PM »
you are right there a training day well enjoyed you should have a go.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 10:54:58 AM »
Best AWGB Course I've done. Gave me the confidence to stand up and do the hardest presentation of all, to your own club.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 11:37:45 AM »
I will agree with you it dose give you confidence.

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 01:04:37 PM »
Best AWGB Course I've done. Gave me the confidence to stand up and do the hardest presentation of all, to your own club.
Umm....wider I run some of the courses. ;)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
People out here are looking for you
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 08:27:24 PM »
Following onto another e-mail conversation I've had today.

My club's event organiser is trying to find demonstrators to book for the coming year. I suggested that they look to the AWGB Website list of demonstrators and was told they thought it out of date, I responded,

That list is only as up-to-date as the demonstrators who wish to be listed make it.

Paul can only add and update it as he is requested to do by the demonstrators.

So if you've done the course, or if you are a demonstrator, please look to the list and get your entry up-to-date.

People out here are looking for you.

Offline Haggy

• bronze
  • "You can keep your ashes in that " Wife
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 05:14:26 PM »
There we go Denise- you look like a proper demonstrator!
I think you should share your hole drilling jig idea , or maybe use it  in one of your future seminars.
I know Drag4ly would be interested to see it.
I had an idea of how to keep the Demos within the time frame- play music in the background, the music could speed up close to the finish

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 07:36:21 PM »
Thanks for that dr4g0nfly, I am trying to fill the 2017 programme, and getting new demonstrators is frustrating. I have asked if club secretaries can have the contact details of recently trained demonstrators, but I was told they were confidential. Beats me why someone bothers to train and then does not appear to want to demonstrate!
Ron

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 09:51:18 PM »
I know I am the only one from the course I did 2 years ago who has put himself forward as a demonstrator. But I had to develop an evenings demo, then wait for an opportunity to present it to the club. I was not prepared to offer to take it on the road to other clubs unless I knew it was good.

3 of the other 4 people on the course did it to enable them to demonstrate to the students who attend the Max Carey Wood-Turning Trust which is [sort of] attached to our club. But that reason cannot be the same for everyone who does the course.

So unless they are 'Stamp Collecting', I agree with your question, why do they do the course, and what do they gain by it if they don't use it.

Perhaps one condition should be written into doing the course is that the attendee's should become named AWGB Demonstrators, it is funded by the AWGB and voluntarily ran after all.

Offline rick_dobney

• bronze
    • Rick Dobney Woodturning
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 11:02:28 PM »
Like Bryan...I completed the comprehensive, informative and enjoyable AWGB demonstrator training course (presented by Martin Lawrence), mine was in early 2015. Since then I've been working towards becoming 'demo ready'; I've presented to my home club and I'm now taking my first tentative steps onto the local circuit.

Inexperienced as I am, I can appreciate the amount of preparation and practice needed. As good as the course was, it doesn't mean you're ready to stand up in front of either your home club or further afield. Depending upon how much time you can dedicate to preparation, it can be months or longer before you're ready and even then it's a nervy experience.

I sincerely hope that the demos I've scheduled for this year will be successful and enjoyable for both me and the audience. If all goes well as I trust it will, I'll promote myself further as a demonstrator including adding myself to the AWGB demonstrator list.

Cheers
Rick

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 11:23:11 PM »
"Perhaps one condition should be written into doing the course is that the attendee's should become named AWGB Demonstrators, it is funded by the AWGB and voluntarily ran after all. " Bryan I think if that happened it would discourage our members  to take it up. The demonstrator training course is offered to the members to give a boost to confidence and improve demonstration skills for members so that they can demonstrate to their fellow club members, it was never intended to be a shoe in to the demonstrator's circuit, if you feel that the course you did has been of sufficient help that you are now confident enough to go to other clubs to demo then that is an added benefit.
 I can remember raising this very point at the AGM when the course was announced, perhaps misguidedly thinking that the AWGB were training demonstrators to go on the circuit. I was told they were not and since running some of the courses myself I have seen that the training given is more confidence based. It will enable you to confidently demonstrate to your own club but as mentioned the effort has to be put in until you truly feel confident enough. There is no replacement for experience and that should be gained at your own club before trying to demo at other clubs otherwise if it all goes wrong (as it will from time to time) it can have the effect of really unnerving you and draining any confidence you may have felt. The other thing to remember is if you charge for giving a demo you should have your own PL insurance as you are then classed as self employed.