Author Topic: Steam twisted wooden turned items  (Read 3002 times)

Offline willstewart

• gold
Steam twisted wooden turned items
« on: May 05, 2016, 04:56:21 PM »
This is posted as some members of my local branch have expressed interest.  The technique is one I have evolved for making, for example, candlestick stems from sets of steam-twisted and contrasting woods. This was originally for making sets for wedding presents, hence the particular woods, but works quite well, especially with interspaced coloured veneer layers. This makes rods 18-20 mm in diameter and about 200 mm long (good to taper them a bit for effect) with 180 degree or a bit more twist over the length.  See the attachment.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Steam twisted wooden turned items
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 05:26:00 PM »
Always good to see different techniques. Very interesting stuff, thanks for sharing.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 06:21:15 PM »
Interesting idea. been looking into steam bending but never thought of twisting.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 06:26:53 PM »
Interesting idea. been looking into steam bending but never thought of twisting.

Pete
....I've got a little experiment on the go at the moment, using a wall-paper steamer, which is great for giving continuous steam, but Will's method looks a lot less complex!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 06:42:41 PM »
I have some very thin strips of wood that I was thinking of using to make some ikebana supports by steam bending but like a lot of things easier telt than felt. I tried one lot but obviously went wrong somehow as they sprung back to origial shape when finally released.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 04:31:33 PM »
Pete a lot of it relies on the wood you use, you also need to take the surface tension out and then cramp it in position plus a bit overnight. There will always be a tendency for it to move back slightly. Steam at 100 degrees C for one hour per inch. Ash or Chestnut is probably your best bet.
     I used to make the hood sticks for vintage cars and hada lot of success at making them from one piece instead of joining them.