Author Topic: what's the best finish for a salad bowl?  (Read 2946 times)

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
what's the best finish for a salad bowl?
« on: May 11, 2016, 10:20:57 PM »
i don't usually do stuff that's going to be used and the few items i've made i've finished in danish oil.

i like using oil finished but i just wondered if there is an ideal food safe finish for salad bowls?

any help appreciated.

thanks in advance

steve

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: what's the best finish for a salad bowl?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 10:25:34 PM »
Chestnut 'Foodsafe Oil' is good, and usually gives a good finish with 3 coats, but it does take more than that for very porous woods like alder, lime etc.....but having said that, I tend to use Danish Oil.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 11:05:35 PM »
Hi Steve,
I too like oil finishes, but thinking a bit further ahead, the oil used may present a problem.

Customers will usually ask how best to care for their bowl and it would not be practical to suggest they buy a bottle of Food safe oil so they can apply a coat after wiping the bowl with a damp cloth. So, for salad bowls, I use oils that are often already in the kitchen, or can easily be bought in the supermarkets.

One of my favourites is walnut oil, but that may be risky if nut allergy is of concern, so I will use sunflower or rapeseed oil. I appreciate these don't 'dry' as quickly as the 'turners' oils, but the customer is always pleased to hear they have an easy way of keeping their bowls in pristine condition. By the way, don't use Olive Oil, as that never dries and is likely to go rancid.
Hope that helps,
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline Richard S

• iron
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 06:07:33 PM »
I have used Coconut Oil with success, I apply it warm so that it is more fluid and helps with absorption into the wood.

Richard

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 07:45:02 PM »
I use ordinairy vegetable olil. any except olive oil which goes rancid in time. I have personal pieces that have been on our kitchen for years and there has been no problems at all. As mentioned it is much easier for the customer to re oil every now and then and is generally food safe etc. Most  'food safe oils' are actually petroleom based and whilst it is no doubt food safe, personally I would rather use something that is at least vegetable based.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities