Author Topic: How toxic is wood when dry  (Read 2426 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
How toxic is wood when dry
« on: August 02, 2016, 08:46:32 AM »
We all read about different woods being toxic in various degrees for example yew and laburnum but does this toxicity exist when it is dry or is it just in the green state, or in some instances is it toxic no matter if it is green or dry.

Is there anything stating which wood are toxic when green, or it remains toxic when dry.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: How toxic is wood when dry
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 09:32:42 AM »
I am not an expert on this, BUT I believe that toxicity is not related to moisture content. For anything to be toxic it has to be absorbed by the human body and then processed. Example: wax is inherently non-toxic and food safe because the human body cannot process it at all. It comes out at the other end pretty much the same it goes in.

Wood, on the other hand, is based on fibre that can be processed by the human body (I am not talking about nutrient content here, just basic processing), and therefore can do harm.
And remember that all of that is on top of the dangers caused by inhaling the dust (where toxicity is combined with damage done by the particles in your lungs).

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 10:49:30 AM »
This thread is likely to duplicate the current thread discussing the toxicity of laburnum. Might I suggest that you look at the http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/ that Eric Meyer has written on the Wood Database. As Wolfgang states, the toxicity remains within the timber irrespective of moisture content.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 08:44:18 PM »
A sort of side issue, sycamore has natural antibiotic properties and beech is traditionally known to be a 'clean wood' hence used for kitchen utensils, butchers chopping blocks etc. To be honest, anyone who is going to be making things for use should investigate the various properties and also have a look at the history as traditional but not necessarily commerially available woods such as hawthorn, hazel, blackthorn are also good for kitchen and food items. One of the things that concerns me at times is the ignorance that people have towards different woods, plants etc There are some such as the  manchineel tree which can be fatal and others that can  produce serious allergies yet we hear little about these things. Using local native woods we are reasonably safe but as soon as we start using imported woods we really do need to be aware of the potential dangers of soe of the woods.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 07:43:06 PM »
When it comes to toxicity its all about the individual and wet or dry has little to do with it. Except perhaps dry produces more dust  and therefore a bigger reaction or faster one.
I have a friend who who is allergic to Blackwood Acacia Melannoxylon and he can get a reaction to cutting it in pouring rain.