Author Topic: Work shop heater advice  (Read 3251 times)

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Work shop heater advice
« on: November 02, 2016, 11:58:50 AM »
Well its that time of year when the damp creeps in. I would like to put a heater near to the VB to stop any damp creeping in and killing it electrically as I have heard stories of the damp affecting the inverters. I do put a dehumidifier in the shop over winter, and treat all the bars and bed with wax so rust has not been an issue, but would like recommendations on a permanent source of mild heat.

I was thinking of the tube type heater with a stat which I can sit under the lathe and move when I am working, I have a heater in the workshop but not suitable to leave unattended.

Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Work shop heater advice
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 12:07:27 PM »
I have a very small (45W) electrically powered Tube heater, originally designed for a greenhouse, if I remember correctly. It is wall mounted just behind my lathe motor.

Although you'd think it would be to low powered to do much, it does stop any condensation or frost forming.

And at 45W, I don't even worry about leaving it on for long periods of time.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 02:44:02 PM »
The other option I know someone uses is they put a 40 or 60 watt bulb in one of those clip on holders in the bottom of the VB and covers the beast with a blanket.   They live in the middle of nowhere and get a lot of fog and frost etc and he has never had a problem since he started doing this.

john

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 02:48:19 PM »
Hi I have two, wall mounted, oil filled panel heaters in my workshop fit controlled by a thermostat which I set at 10 degrees.  Keeps everything dry and rust free.  I have insulated the workshop (probably better than the house!).

I don't think I would risk covering a bulb with a blanket - seems like a fire risk to me.

Cheers Dave

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 03:16:09 PM »
I think the bulb is the way to go. Easy, cheap, and works perfectly well. As Dave says: covering it with a blanket is not a good idea.
Bulbs like this have been (and are) used by many in their home-built kilns as a simple way of providing a constant low source of heat.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 03:59:16 PM »
Slightly off topic but of too great an importance not to repeat......
In my days on the 'red lorryful of ladders' I once attended the site of a garden workshop reduced to a blackened bandsaw and wood burner surrounded by nothing but ash. Give any idea of converting offcuts or shavings into heat the widest possible berth.
Brian

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 06:34:11 PM »
I should off made it clearer, he puts the bulb into the base of the lathe and the blanket over the outside of the lathe there is no way the two can get close to each other.

john

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 08:35:38 AM »
Even so, I wouldn't put a blanket on at all. A 60W bulb is enough to ensure the entire workshop (unless it's really large) is a degree (or a fraction of a degree) warmer than the outside, and that is really all that's needed to prevent condensation and a flow of humidity from the inside to the outside.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 03:51:25 PM »
I have an oil filled radiator set to just above freezing just enough to stop any condensation and it also takes the chill off when I first go into the workshop first thing

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 05:19:20 PM »
You wont be using 60w bulbs for much longer, the LED's give off very little heat. The green house heater seems the way to go
Ron

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 08:28:41 PM »
Purely from a health and safety angle I would be inclined to go with the tube heater, they are specially designed to do the job you want it to and do it safely.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2016, 07:45:14 AM »
I think a tube heater fits the bill. Thanks for all the suggestions, off to Fleabay methinks.......
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline mickdundee

• iron
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2016, 03:23:07 PM »
After reading this I think I might invest in this one
http://www.screwfix.com/p/dimplex-ecot1ft-thermostatic-tubular-heater-40w/3951f#product_additional_details_container
I went to a lot of trouble to damp proof my shed, so I really should do something about condensation as well