Author Topic: Unknown wood  (Read 2026 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Unknown wood
« on: June 09, 2017, 03:10:11 PM »
Bowl from unknown wood. I turned this yesterday but had to wait until today to complete the finish and remove the foot. Measures 8 1/2" X 2 1/4", I left the rim wide otherwise I would have lost a lot of the character of the wood even if I turned the blank the other way round

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: Unknown wood
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 04:14:10 PM »
Unless I am mistaken, this is a sycamore crotch (or any other of the locally growing acer species). Interesting shape, can't say much about the foot since it's not visible. I do like the idea of the rim, but I suspect it will always look a little heavy.
Crotch pieces almost never disappoint with the figure of the wood, and this one is no exception.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 04:38:50 PM »
Beauitiful woodand the finish looks good. When doing a wide rim bowl if you put a little bead on the inside edge of the rim, defining the bowl, it helps relieve any sense of heaviness. Just a thought for the next one.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 08:54:39 PM »
Thank you all. This wood came in a batch that every piece was identified all except this one.

Beauitiful woodand the finish looks good. When doing a wide rim bowl if you put a little bead on the inside edge of the rim, defining the bowl, it helps relieve any sense of heaviness. Just a thought for the next one.

Pete

Yes I agree I did think about  a bead or even a score line like the Walnut one I did and decided against it but the more I look I think I should have done something. I also think that if I have another piece like this a very light wash of colour to enhance the grain a little more.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 09:09:10 PM »
Hi Derek,

I totally agree with Fuzzy as to the species and that it is a crotch, certainly the left hand dark stripe is a Pith line, and the Flame is beautiful.

The rim creates a strange illusion, it looks like a bowl stacked inside a bowl, much like you have soup bowls stacked in a cupboard.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 04:37:43 PM »

A nice bit of spalted  Sycamore you have there Derek .... Well thought out .. Turned  and Finished.
  Kind Regards Tony di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 08:38:01 PM »
I'm happy to go along with everything said here....spalted sycamore with pith and flame, and yep, it looks good and could look lighter with a rim-bead.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 11:14:43 PM »
Thank you everyone. At least now have some idea what wood it is. I am sure I have the other half some where and may give it a light colour wash as well as a bead around the bowl