Author Topic: Vases  (Read 1688 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Vases
« on: June 22, 2017, 11:59:48 AM »
Been playing with the design of the vase I did the other day, Here's a couple of variations.
This was a pig to photograph. This is a 16" tall cedar vase that has been made in a similar way to the previous one. I have heavily textured the cedar with a wire brush on the lathe and it is a lot deeper than I can show in the photos. It was then ebonised. It was hollowed out to about 5mm and is surprisingly light to pick up. On taking the photos I noticed that there has been a little bit of movement since gluing up though the cedar registered as quite low in moisture content before I turned it. Probably the hot weather we have had. C&C welcome as always.

Second one is 10" tall and 5" diameter, not sure of the wood, another anonymous donation fom the gardener LOL. The decorative work was an experiment by Mo, pyro'd background and coloured daisies.

Pete
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 12:04:11 PM by bodrighywood »
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
Re: Vases
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 03:08:23 PM »
At the chance of repeating myself Pete.

That is the problem with wood you never know what it is going to do. The first is great but the second looks wrong at the neck joint just too much going on for me a more flowing join and using the dark ring the same way as you did with the first and possibly the decoration flowing right to the top of the whole thing. but that is just me and nothing to do with your workmanship which looks top notch as always along with Mo's work

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Vases
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 01:39:27 PM »
Pete,

Hopefully not too much of a backhanded compliment.

I've looked at many (and own some) ceramic vases that when I think about them, say to myself, 'that would not work in wood'; especially Art Vases.

Then again, sometimes the purely aesthetic shapes can be too much, we need to be pushing in a direction that causes a jolt to the eye, to make them stand out.

So although the shapes don't completely do it for me, there is nothing wrong with them as far as the turning and finish go. The texture and especially pyro work is striking, so they will appeal to, be bought by and loved by someone.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!