Author Topic: Cromwell Tools....  (Read 2780 times)

Offline ChrisF

• gold
Cromwell Tools....
« on: December 08, 2017, 09:49:06 AM »
Anyone else use Cromwell Tools?

I had an odd phone call yesterday claiming that Cromwell had set up a new site offering the same range of products but at better prices.  As an existing customer who had bought from Cromwell recently (true) they could set me up with an account on the new site via email.  Seems very suspicious to me.....unfortunately didn't catch the name of the new site.  Cromwell are being useless on the phones this morning so just wondering if anyone else had had a similar call?

My main concern is how did they get my details and know I had recently bought from Cromwell......too much of a coincidence to be pot luck...

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Cromwell Tools....
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 01:11:43 PM »
Chris,

I've not heard of them or their tools.

Any chance of a link. I've done a search on 'Cromwell tools' and all I've found is a tool retail company with an outlet in Bristol (and two across the estuary in Wales), but the only woodworking tools they show are those awful cheap Chinese sets.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 04:58:32 PM »
Cromwell tools are a nationwide company . When I was engineering manager for my last company we used them for all types of tooling etc. I am not sure what the present state of the company is as it is over 10yrs since I last used them
I have just done a search on my iPad and there is a site for Cromwell tools.co.uk
Ken

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 10:53:26 PM »
I purchased two replacement "Jacobs" type chuck keys from their on-line shop back in July this year, for one chuck that I had acquired which had never had a key, and another where I had lost the original.  Good clear product description on their website, a good price and no complaints with what was delivered.  Website is at https://www.cromwell.co.uk/
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 11:01:51 PM by Tim Pettigrew »

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 08:07:12 AM »
Anyone else use Cromwell Tools?

I had an odd phone call yesterday claiming that Cromwell had set up a new site offering the same range of products but at better prices.  As an existing customer who had bought from Cromwell recently (true) they could set me up with an account on the new site via email.  Seems very suspicious to me.....unfortunately didn't catch the name of the new site.  Cromwell are being useless on the phones this morning so just wondering if anyone else had had a similar call?

My main concern is how did they get my details and know I had recently bought from Cromwell......too much of a coincidence to be pot luck...
Chris

I use Cromwell a lot and they appear to have set up a new online company https://www.zoro.co.uk/ I've had a number of emails and a similar phone call offering me better deals if I call them. I haven't used them yet.

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 08:38:33 AM »
Thanks all, seems it is legit.  Just seemed such a bizzare call to say 'we've set up another website in competition with ourselves'!

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 09:09:22 AM »
Here's your answer;
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/grainger-announces-agreement-to-acquire-cromwell-the-largest-independent-british-mro-distributor-300121191.html

Simply put, Cromwell have been bought out by an American company ( WW Grainger aka Zoro).