Author Topic: What price art!  (Read 2726 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
What price art!
« on: April 30, 2018, 02:00:01 PM »
The price that we pay for our art!......I was working on a display at a gallery in Aberdyfi a few weeks ago and had left my car legally parked in a local authority car park, with our parking voucher hanging off the rear-view mirror....and I got booked! So I appealed, and it seems that my little tree-shaped air freshener was obscuring a small part of the voucher, which was clearly visible....heck, it's 20cm square, whereas the air freshener was triangular and only 4cm at the widest point. My appeal has been rejected on the grounds that the parking voucher was partly obscured. Don't you just hate a "Jobsworth"!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: What price art!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 04:25:04 PM »
Les I am not a violent man but sometimes.....just sometimes.....!! >:(

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 04:39:54 PM »
cachu

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 09:36:17 PM »
The booking was just 'Jobsworth', but if you could present the actual ticket, it should have been overturned.

Contact the Citizens Advice Office, they should have something for you to work with.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 09:52:11 PM »
The booking was just 'Jobsworth', but if you could present the actual ticket, it should have been overturned.

Contact the Citizens Advice Office, they should have something for you to work with.
....there is little chance of winning the case, Bryan. Bylaws specifically state that the view of the voucher must be unhindered and that no part of it should be obscured. Jobsworth it is, but they've got the law on their side.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 07:14:44 AM »
Better off not buying the ticket in the first place then!

If you have purchased a ticket and can prove it that should be good enough.

Just another bit of tax from the honest hard working people...

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 10:34:58 AM »
Les, you have my sympathy - but this little tale may make you feel a bit better.
In Northampton, the parking enforcement was contracted to a private company whose workers were on commission. Equipped with mopeds, they would hide behind walls and hedges, and around corners (I kid you not) waiting for a car to park wrongly then dart out on their moped, slap a ticket on the windscreen and zoom off before the startled motorist even had time to register their presence.
This all came to a head one night when a dozen or more councillors attended a charity meal at a Chinese restaurant, and their cars got ticketed although it was Sunday night, after 7p.m. They protested that it was a charity event (a free meal for them??), they protested that it was Sunday, that it was in the evening, that they weren't causing an obstruction - all to no avail, they had to pay up. Great mirth around the town!
Not too long after that, the contract was not renewed. Can't imagine why!
You may not be able to get your money back, but a letter to the local paper about the town being unwelcoming to those that bring in trade may at least rattle a few cages.
Duncan

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 11:12:45 AM »
Our local council will ticket you if you lay the ticket on the dash  :o

You must use the peel off backing part and attach it to the windscreen on the near side  :-\

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 04:09:07 PM »
But was the fine for not paying to park or did it state for obstructing the ticket :'( :'( :'(

Yep just about right a true jobsworth