Author Topic: Three pointed/three sided forms  (Read 1446 times)

Offline John Plater

• gold
Three pointed/three sided forms
« on: September 07, 2018, 09:43:36 AM »
All unfinished pieces but done as "sketches" in 3D before demonstrating to club members. The topic was three sided bowls in case you hadn't noticed  ;D Left  is a fairly standard item from a London Plane offcut. It always annoys me how wasteful the process can be so I cored it with a straight cut. From the core came the middle one of the three. I tried undercutting the hollowing to give an interesting shape on the edge. On the right is a form made from laminated birch ply. This time the core was made into the base. Comments welcomed.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Three pointed/three sided forms
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 01:11:40 PM »
Of the three, it's the birch ply that works the best and I especially like the plinth - great idea to cut it out of the core. My feeling about the London Plane is that rustic pieces of wood, with natural voids, doesn't lend itself well to precision pieces such as this. Most three-sided pieces look light and airy, but the weight of the wood and the indelicacy of its features fights against that concelt.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.