Author Topic: natural edge Burr  (Read 1907 times)

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
natural edge Burr
« on: September 25, 2018, 08:33:06 AM »
I pick up this Burr up quite a while ago dont  really know what type it is. But being Australian its hard and very dry, plus a few small checks/cracks here and there. Stands around 130mm high dia 180mm Danish Oil.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: natural edge Burr
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 08:13:10 PM »
If I'd seen this without you posting it, i'd never have guessed you turned it. It lacks all of the organic shape and feeling we've come to associate with your work.
Having said that, apart from the finish being a little matt, I can see nothing not to like.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Tony_a

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 10:38:37 PM »
Very nice Hughie. A flowing curve and simple lines complement a highly figured piece of wood, let the wood do the talking.

Tony
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. (Churchill)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 11:01:28 PM »
I was gpoing to say 'what no spirals@ but Bryan sort of beat me to it LOL. Quality etc just as good though

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 08:51:10 AM »
I find it a good change not to do spirals :) as it allows the piece to be finished rapidly and the natural edge is not something I do a lot of.   I started for an exhibition but couldn't get finished in time, such is life.

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 07:05:08 PM »
Apparently its a type of Mallee burr. I did think this was the case but the grains structure is not very usual for Mallee.
But I do like the mallee and turn quite a few without the spiral, heres one I did some time ago. The sanding was the challenging part, so much so I have done any for a while. This one is Mallee for sure. :) it was around 35cm in dia.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 08:00:48 PM »

Hi Hughie
                   I like this piece very much it looks like you were almost turning more Air than wood but you have less shavings to clear up Thank you for sharing.
                                  Regards John
John Smith