Author Topic: Worshipful Company of Turners, View, Love, Buy  (Read 2161 times)

Offline John Plater

• gold
Worshipful Company of Turners, View, Love, Buy
« on: November 28, 2018, 12:30:06 PM »
I visited this one day show at Carpenters' Hall in London yesterday. There was some stunning woodturning on display and three of my pieces  ;D Thank you to the organisers and volunteers for their efforts. Where else might one show work in such a prestigious location and in such good company when the only cost is the delivery and collection of the work ?
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
Re: Worshipful Company of Turners, View, Love, Buy
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 02:21:23 PM »
Congratulations on taking part in what sounds like a prestigious event. Will the work exhibited be on the 'net sometime soon? I assume lots of photos were taken.
As an aside, your article in 'Woodturning' re. selling on-line was an interesting read :)

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 04:14:12 PM »
I also visited & had a couple of pieces on display including things described here.  Fascinating and a very high standard (albeit with some strange things!)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 07:49:46 PM »
Just (finally) got back from this event. The concensus is that standards are rising. I was priveleged to be asked to help judge one of the competitions and what a difficult (and very emotional) job that turned out to be. I was very pleased to meet some of you there and apologise for not remembering names after 30 seconds. ::)
     Those of you that did not enter a competition should seriously think about entering in the future, it is good fun and I think it helps make you a better turner. (I could be wrong though)

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 10:00:47 PM »
Just (finally) got back from this event. The concensus is that standards are rising. I was priveleged to be asked to help judge one of the competitions and what a difficult (and very emotional) job that turned out to be. I was very pleased to meet some of you there and apologise for not remembering names after 30 seconds. ::)
     Those of you that did not enter a competition should seriously think about entering in the future, it is good fun and I think it helps make you a better turner. (I could be wrong though)
I did look at entering my Remembrance vase but I had already promised it to the Royal British Legion

I can imagine that there was some very high standards there

Offline Les

• iron
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 08:22:18 AM »
Like John I was lucky to be involved with this years event, the amount and quality of the entries was nothing short of amazing, also the amount that did sell was also very encouraging for the craft. Look forward to seeing all your entries in a couple of years time

Les

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 09:47:22 AM »
Any pictures?
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.

Offline Dave Wraight

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 04:04:27 PM »
I also visited and as already has been said - a very high quality of entries and it it is interesting to note the amount of 'carving' that had also been added to many of the pieces.

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 11:23:52 AM »
A few pics - I only arrived just before closing so this is far from representative.