Author Topic: Catches with larger pieces  (Read 5326 times)

Offline Vestas

• copper
Catches with larger pieces
« on: June 03, 2019, 02:59:30 PM »
I have recently tried to turn larger bowls / platter and when trying to bring the large blank into shape have had a real issue with constant catches.
I’ve tried different tools and raised the rest but it’s been a nightmare ! What am I doing wrong ?

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Catches with larger pieces
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 04:06:34 PM »
The only tool you should use for shaping and creating Bowls is a Bowl Gouge  and a scraper for refining.
You Bowl gouge is probably not profiled properly and if it is you probably dont know how to use it properly.
I sugest you get some tuition from a Profesional Turner.
Plenty of choice on the RPT Website

Regards george
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 04:09:11 PM »
Hard to say exactly, what you are doing wrong is putting the tool in at the wrong angle or too deep.

As a rule it is best to ensure that that the bottom of the bevel is on the timber probably for a couple of revolutions before lifting the handle to tip the cutting edge in, that way if there is a lump in the wood you will know about it before you risk a catch. I think it may be something I do, though it's just a brief moment and I can't actually say if I do it or not...

Another thing is move your feet! aim to stand at the position on the end of the cut you are planning to make, maybe do a practice cut half an inch away from the timber with the lathe off, to check for a clear swing ensure that your feet are not obstructed which may cause your swing to judder at some point and possibly cause a too deep cut to be attempted. Again I am aware of the theory, can't say if I do it or not... though sometimes I do.

Rather than raise the tool rest check your tool is about on the center line lean in and check that the full bevel is resting on the timber with the cutting edge just coming into contact when your tool handle is lifted to the comfortable control position (again with the work not turning)

Make sure that your tool is properly sharpened, blunt tools encourage catches, as to tools with to much of a point where it should be a curve, or even too much of a curve where it is supposed to be a point! to high a wing etc.

Try a piece of white paper on the lathe bed, it highlights the ghost image of any lumps and bumps, more importantly shows the points where your chisel is floating in air and at risk of being pushed in too far next time the bump comes around.

Going to go back to the feet again! sweep the floor, get rid of any shavings / obstructions make sure you are standing in the right place, it is the thing that used to catch me out often bend and twist at the hip to the start of the cut but be in the right place for the end of it.

Hopefully something I have mentioned will help you find your issue, one final thing... what timber are you using? sometimes very dry timber can have hard and soft area's that are just designed to make you have a catch!
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 04:09:35 PM »
This is a difficult one to answer without seeing what the problem is live ! There are the regular generic rules. Check first that tools are sharp, work is securely mounted and the toolrest is set close to the rotating blank to work initially at centre height. Run the lathe at a speed which is comfortable for you. There are also general rules about establishing a cut and following it through. Then it gets tricky. What type of tool is being used ? How is it being presented to the work ? What type of cut is being attempted ? Are you working across the outside of the blank or across its face ? The best advice I can offer is to have someone whose judgement you respect, watch what you are doing so that the problem can be seen, assessed and dealt with. It may be that a relatively small adjustment is all that is needed or maybe its back to basics with a professional tutor.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 08:04:51 PM »
I'm with George on this.

Truing up a blank is such a simple, fundamental part of woodturning that you really should not be getting a catch, let alone repeatedly. I really do think that you should get hands-on help from a professional turner/teacher.
I have novice turners performing this aspect of woodturning once or twice a week and never has any one of them had a catch. There are many, many things that you could be doing wrong and the fact that you are unable to identify the problem makes this too vague an issue for anyone to pass meaningful comment on when they are unable to see what it is that you are doing wrongly.

Les
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 06:56:44 AM by Les Symonds »
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 08:25:50 PM »
This is something I have come across quite a lot and I think it is the main reason a lot of  would be Turners give up
Once they learn how to sharpen and profile their tools they are half way there but what happens is they struggle for a while and then think this is not for me and give up
Four times a year members of our club can come to my workshop at no cost for advise and the thing they are always struggling with is profiling and sharpening.As soon as they sort this out they are away and the quickest way is to have a day or two with a Pro turner.
There is a cost to having Tuition but it is money well spent as it is a short cut to learning.
It is also a pity Members dont put on their profile here where they come from because their might be somebody in their area that will give them a bit of help

Regards George

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 09:39:58 PM »
Have to agreee with George and Les. Truing up is fundamental and should be a basic skill and if you are having problems then you need hands on advice, any advise we give here or that you get fron=m say a video is of no comparicon to getting a bit of tuition or mentoring from an experienced turner.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Vestas

• copper
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 11:28:34 AM »
Thanks all
Great advice. I’ve turned lots of bowls now and haven’t had an issue up to now. It’s only with this larger blank. The bowl gouge seems to have dont the trick but I was trying to use the roughing gauge initially which wasn’t working. I put a fingernail grind on the gouge and it’s working well now. The foot position advice is spot on Pete that helped me getting one sweep cut. I think I was standing to central to the piece. Thanks all.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 11:39:46 AM »
It is not a Roughing Gouge it is a Spindle Roughing Gouge and should never ever go near a Bowl only to be used on spindle work very very dangerous using it on a bowl.
You need to get some advise before you have an accident

Regards George

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 11:39:52 AM »
Thanks all
Great advice. I’ve turned lots of bowls now and haven’t had an issue up to now. It’s only with this larger blank. The bowl gouge seems to have dont the trick but I was trying to use the roughing gauge initially which wasn’t working. I put a fingernail grind on the gouge and it’s working well now. The foot position advice is spot on Pete that helped me getting one sweep cut. I think I was standing to central to the piece. Thanks all.

OK, one of the key bits of information you would have learned from a professional tutor is NEVER EVER use a roughing gouge on bowl's of any size.

The tang on a roughing gouge is a flat section, it is not suited to the stresses involved in cutting a bowl profile, and should only ever be used on spindle work.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 12:05:28 PM »
Have to agree with what has been said so far. There aren't many rules in wood turning but the ones there are are seriously important. NEVER EVER use a spindle roughing gouge on face work e.g. bowls. Never use tools made for bench work or pole lathe turning on an electrical lathe, Always wear some form of face and in particular eye protection. Always use sharp tools. I really think that you should get some form of tuition before you have a serious accident. I have had students who have been in your situation and ended up spending a lot of the time trying to break bad habits they had acquired. As an addendum, don't assume you can get tuition from YouTube. There is some great things there but also a lot of highly dangerous stuff in the name of wood turning.

Pete
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 04:08:30 PM by bodrighywood »
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 03:53:02 PM »
I also agree with George and Les.
But would go on to say that it is possible you are moving onto larger work too soon. Again I don't know what sizes you've been turning or are now trying to turn, but if the step change is too great, that may be part of your problem.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Vestas

• copper
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2019, 04:52:35 PM »
Thanks guys
I would say I didn’t use it on the face of the blank I was trying to clean up the side but I do see I was doing it wrong. It’s turned out really well now thankfully. Thanks again

Offline Vestas

• copper
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2019, 05:02:08 PM »
https://www.flickr.com/people/181832396@N04/

Here’s what I’ve done recently - a long way to go but I’m enjoying it and learning lots!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2019, 07:16:24 PM »
Thanks guys
I would say I didn’t use it on the face of the blank I was trying to clean up the side but I do see I was doing it wrong. It’s turned out really well now thankfully. Thanks again
Sorry to keep harping on about it Vestas but you should not use the spindle roughing gouge on any part of faceplate turning. If you want to clean up the side that should be done with the bowl gouge. Iy takes only a split second and then you could cut a tendon that will not allow you to turn for months or even ever again. My advice if you cannot afford professional tuition is join a club and get them to run a hands on evening.