Author Topic: Hinge or Knuckle  (Read 1505 times)

Offline TonyLid

• iron
Hinge or Knuckle
« on: April 21, 2020, 12:15:57 PM »
Hi Everybody,
Fingers crossed that you may know the answer.

My daughter (bless her) has asked me to make this kitchen towel holder for her.  The turning is easy, what's getting me is the hinge thingy or should I say knuckle.  That's my problem there, I don't know what it's called or where to get it.

The top part of the post rotates from a straight position, that is for sliding the roll on & off, to an angled position, that is for ease of carrying.  See pic.

Hoping you can help.
Stay save & healthy
Tony Lidington

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Hinge or Knuckle
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 02:02:45 PM »
OK so have only thought about this not prototyped it or anything...

Make the unit in 4 parts with mortice and tenon joints between post and joint and joint to top.

Joint drill a 4mm hole right through the centre of the dowel to take a small bolt, drill into each end for the bolt head / nut you could make a ball and socket joint, but as movement will only be on one plane that is probably overkill. just round off the end of one piece on a disk sander and cut a 4mm slot to allow the bolt to pivot. Cut a cup into the second piece this one needs to be a full round socket so it can be twisted as well as pivot put the nut into the hole (tight fit or glue etc.) screw the 2 halves together until tight enough to give movement without falling over. tenon on the ends to hide the mechanism...

Complex, but would probably work!

Failing that just put a screw cap on a straight post! much easier...
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 02:56:15 PM »
Hi Everybody,

My daughter (bless her) has asked me to make this kitchen towel holder for her.  The turning is easy, what's getting me is the hinge thingy or should I say knuckle.  That's my problem there, I don't know what it's called or where to get it.

The top part of the post rotates from a straight position, that is for sliding the roll on & off, to an angled position, that is for ease of carrying.  See pic.

Hoping you can help.
Stay save & healthy
Tony Lidington

what's wrong with a knob???

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 07:27:59 PM »
Hi Everybody,

Hoping you can help.
Stay save & healthy
Tony Lidington

what's wrong with a knob???
Come on,he is trying to please his daughter!
Ron

Offline Willie

• iron
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 09:54:18 PM »
Hi Tony

When I saw your post thought it might be similar to joints in handrails but could only come up with something like TT suggested. I'll keep pondering. :)

I've got a daughter as well.......

Willie

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 10:13:19 PM »
Okay, let’s see if I can make this make sense.

The rotating knuckle does not have anything flexible in it. It does have a 3 part rotating spindle, where the top and bottom can spin independently around a central bar.

The spindle is set into the two wooden parts very (very) centrally at an angle tangential (90°) to the cut line between the two wooden parts.

This means that as the top wooden part is rotated around its central axis the angle it projects at moves from perpendicular to an angle position twice that of the cut line.

I’ve never seen anything like it for sale, so I assume that they are custom made. You might equate something to it by using two short cylinders of wood with a thin bolt through the middle. I’ve done a quick sketch to try to help you see what I mean.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 11:27:41 PM »
Just had a look at this kitchen roll holder... There is no hinge involved.

Take a straight dowel, cut it on an angle looks about 20° and connect it with a swivel.

Twist the swivel and it straightens or leans depending on the angle of the connection.

So you need a thread insert, a fully threaded bolt with the head cut off, and a rubber washer to give resistance.

Drill small pilot hole being careful to get exact centre on both parts.

Glue the bolt into one end (lets go for the bottom section).

Drill the  top section slightly bigger than the thread insert.

Put the washer on the bolt and screw the thread insert onto the top of it to just slightly compress the washer.

Put glue on the thread insert  and ensuring the 20° slope lines up push the top section tight down and hold until the glue has set.

Turn it quarter turn the angle of the cut will cause it to lean over and lock the kitchen roll on while the washer makes it feel firm.

Turn it the other way and it straightens up.

Simple...

Again only constructed in my imagination but I think prototyping this would work quite well...

EDIT:-

My imagination has just told me that I should drink less vodka before imagining...

In over length square section, cut the top section from the bottom with a 90° cut

Drill 6mm hole in bottom section and 6.5mm in top

Cut both to 20° angle AFTER easily drilling hole

Glue 6mm dowel into bottom section

Glue rubber strip to top section of dowel that makes it about 7mm force that into 6.5mm hole in top section use the tail stock and dowel to hold it while rounding off with light cuts.

And you should have the same effect when finished except it is a friction finish with stuff you have knocking about the house somewhere right now....

« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 11:43:32 PM by Twisted Trees »
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 09:30:10 AM »
The answer to this problem is one I have been using since my father introcuced me to carpentry a LONG time ago. Basically it is how you make an angled joint in a stair rail. The solution has already been put forward in earlier posts - you drill accurate holes in the end of the two pieces, perpendicular to the face. Then glue a dowel in place and there is your angled joint. For a joint you want to take apart, just replace the dowel with threaded rod and a captive nut. Simple.

I must admit I had never thougth of using it for the top of a kitchen roll holder, so, as they say, you are never too old to learn new tricks.

Thanks Tony, for an interesting question. I hope you are successful with your project.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 11:00:43 PM by Woodcrafts »
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

Offline TonyLid

• iron
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 12:15:26 PM »
Many, many thanks for your replies.

All are I am sure brilliant, some are beyond me (I just need to study more) & some I feel are within my limited skills.  I will have ago & let you know how I get on & hopefully with a pic or even a video if I can upload one.