Author Topic: Does it exist?  (Read 2417 times)

Offline V8-108

• iron
Does it exist?
« on: July 24, 2021, 07:33:47 PM »
Hi everyone, newbie to both the forum and the hobby here. I have long admired some turned items I was given many years ago and have always harboured a desire to have a go myself. I have now taken the plunge and have a couple of basic/generic lathes which, in reality, I ought to be happy with at the stage I'm at within the hobby (complete beginner right at the start of the journey!) but I always want something better which may (or may not!) help me be a bit better.
I'm looking for something to "future proof" myself to an extent, that will take me to a better level without having to upgrade again with some pretty specific features after the research I have done so far.
I think my requirements are digital variable speed, cast bed, 2MT head and tail stocks, hand wheel on tail stock and either a swivel head stock or and outboard turning capacity. Not too worried about length as my current interest is in bowl type turning, though the ability to add a bed extension at a later date would be a good option. I want all of this at a budget price.....am I dreaming or does something exist that fits my bill......and if it does, what is it likely to cost me in the real world?
Thanks in advance

Neil

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: Does it exist?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 09:18:47 PM »
Have a look at Hope Lathes Neil.

https://hopewoodturning.co.uk/lathes/ks-lathes/

Or the Axminster equivalents?

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 10:19:00 PM »
Neil welcome to the craft that is magic (it makes all your money dissapear...just like that!) I would say that it is difficult to future proof yourself with tools and machines as there are always new bits and pieces coming on the market. What I would say is rather than trying to future proof  your lathe how about future proffing your skills? Go on some courses , get some lessons from those that know what they are on about and that will then leave you better placed to understand what it is you are after. Turning bowls now but in a few months time that could all change. So I would say upskill before upgrading so that you approach it from an educated viewpoint. And all these rotating headstocks and variable speeds  are fine but just think about what the craftsmen of old used to make, and they made it using old fashioned tools and machinery but bucket loads of skill.

Offline V8-108

• iron
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 10:39:48 PM »
That's a fair point BHT and one that I use when playing golf.....better clubs are not going to make me Tiger Woods, I'm aware of that! I suppose some of the things I'm looking for are mainly for convenience - changing speed with a knob as opposed to moving the belt and turning the head stock just makes access easier on the inside of bowls.....but you are correct I guess - neither are absolutely necessary.
I think you're right, and I should probably learn to live by my own mantra (used on the golf course) "learn to use what you've got".....doesn't stop me looking though!! ;D ;D

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 09:43:56 AM »
Well said BHT. Far too many of us woodies are falling for the idea you can somehow buy... or bypass!... the skill requirement by throwing money around. And there is a whole industry out there to help with the convincing. If I ruled the woodyverse no-one would be allowed a chuck or a grinding jig for the first 18months.... and, I believe, their long term turning abilities would improve far quicker because of it.
Put your wallet away, Neil, and set to practice, practice and then practice some more. Woodyturning, in common with many skills, is actually 5% knowledge, 3% gear and 90% experience (the last 2% is swear words, of course!).
Why not let us know where you are based so that other shavings addicts can offer to take you under their wing?
All the best
Brian

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 10:19:45 AM »
Have to agree with John. I am afirm belieb[-ver in ;learning to turn with the basics before spending more money than ylou need. A good lathe is perhaps better tham one that is permanently giving trouble but the best on the market are expemsive unless you go for a good old 2nd hand British and to do that you will need to know what you are buying. Like many on here I learned to turn wit literally two tools and no chuck, no variable speed etc. No need for that extreme perhaps but start simple and work your way up. First expense, some decent tuition

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2021, 03:03:37 PM »
Just chuck in that different teachers often have different lathes so with some care and planning you will get to try out different kit before deciding on your target lathe. Only took me 10 years to move from my second hand starter lathe to my "pretty good for now" lathe.

BUT you should tell us what lathe you are currently using when asking as there are some cheaper starter lathes that just make turning hard work...
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Online Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2021, 08:24:13 AM »
I was reading you 1st post , All good until " I want all this at a budget price " Err humm

Sounds like you allready have a lathe at a cheap price

My advice as allways is this , Buy the best you can afford that has everything you want , This way you only buy once

Make sure all elements of woodturning are your thing , Wearing a good face shield , GOOD dust mask as you can't buy new eyes and lungs , Are you a creative person ? can you come up with designing the element you want in said bowl / Platter / Wall hanging / vase etc , Are you able to further enhance the timber by way of carving , colouring , Doing resin work

You have lots to think about before parting with your money

What part of the UK are you in ? a Town is close enough as you may live near a Club or individual who would be willing to help if needed

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2021, 09:18:23 AM »
Neil one other point, (and I realise  the comment you made about wishing to change speed just by turning a knob was tongue in cheek) but just be aware that all the gadgets and gizmos that are fitted to the modern day lathe can go wrong and be costly to repair. Changing speed by moving belts across a pulley can be a pain in the proverbial but they last longer than some of the other systems out there.
Now a note to any manufacturers that me be lurking on these pages,WE DO NOT NEED GADGETS AND GIZMOS, WE NEED GOOD SOLID RELIABLE TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT THAT ARE SIMPLE TO USE AND ARE A PLEASURE TO HANDLE.not too much to ask is it?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2021, 01:41:50 PM »
Now a note to any manufacturers that me be lurking on these pages,WE DO NOT NEED GADGETS AND GIZMOS, WE NEED GOOD SOLID RELIABLE TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT THAT ARE SIMPLE TO USE AND ARE A PLEASURE TO HANDLE.not too much to ask is it?

Hear hear, I find it sad that so many seem to think that buying a fancy gadget is going to make them a better turner. Perhaps it is the quick fox attitude we have nowadays that people want to be an expert and proficient turner now without learning the basic skills with the basic tools. Ok better put my soap box away LOL

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2021, 04:31:45 PM »

What are these gadgets and gizmos on modern lathes that you find so objectionable?

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2021, 05:17:17 PM »
WE DO NOT NEED GADGETS AND GIZMOS, WE NEED GOOD SOLID RELIABLE TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT THAT ARE SIMPLE TO USE AND ARE A PLEASURE TO HANDLE.not too much to ask is it?

Personally I feel that variable speed is no longer a luxury but a safety feature that we should all have, not exactly new, been commonly available since at least the 1990's Mine is a simple 2 belt system with variable speed ranges of 50 - 1250 rpm and 150 - 3750 rpm if I want to turn a bowl at 500 - 600 rpm it is great that when first mounting it I can start it at 50rpm and bring the speed up gradually. Solid and reliable yes obviously, but some improvements over the 1930's designs are appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 12:32:35 AM by Twisted Trees »
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2021, 06:55:23 PM »
Bill some lathes control the speed by two plates that form a vee getting closer together or further apart. This is supposed to change the diameter  of the "top pulley" therby altering the speed.I have many cases where this system has not performed as it should. I have also seen people experiencing problems lining up the head on a lathe after it has been rotated to make a bowl. There has also recently been evidence of broken tool rest and banjos because they have either been poorly made or poorly designed.
There is a well known manufacturer of lathes, whose name I will not mention here, but ask any professional turner who have used them to demonstrate on and they will tell you that they are a load of (enter some expletive of your choice here) the headstock never lines up with the tailstock correctly. The daft thing is all people want is a good reliable machine, I realise some of the designs are cost driven but just put in fixed pulleys and either install a decent locking system for rotating heads or don't bother with them at all.
I turn every single day of the week and do it all on a Union graduate lathe. I have raised it up by 4" to suit my height and I admit that I have variable speed but that is what my particular lathe came with, but I do still change speed by moving the belt.
The greatest thing aprospective woodturner can do to improve his skills is to spend time at the lathe jus making stuff over and over again.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2021, 08:57:26 PM »
Bill some lathes control the speed by two plates that form a vee getting closer together or further apart. This is supposed to change the diameter  of the "top pulley" therby altering the speed.I have many cases where this system has not performed as it should. I have also seen people experiencing problems lining up the head on a lathe after it has been rotated to make a bowl.

What you describe is commonly called a Reeves Drive. Axminster and many other manufacturers have been selling these for many years. There are two main issues with them, both down to the operator. The moving parts inside the head (easily accessed) need regular cleaning and lubricating. The other issue is that you should never try to move the speed control without the lathe running.

Rotating heads are quite common on larger lathes. It’s a poor idea in my opinion but many buyers seem to want the feature. Lining up the head after moving it is not difficult with the right tool, once again a degree of operator error or lack of knowledge?

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-lathe-alignment-centre-2mt-102427

I agree with TT about speed control. It is very handy to have, as is reverse.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2021, 11:36:21 AM »
I am still running my green CL3 which has belt change, there has been the very odd occasion that an intermediate speed between the belt set speeds is needed but at the end of the day I have managed without any problems and after a while I found that changing the belts on the pulleys takes but a few seconds certainly less than a minute. I did dispense of the silly allan bolt to open the cover to reach these and replaced it with one that has a plastic knob and can be undone by hand rather than hunt for a key.

I have on order a larger workshop as well as some large pieces of machinery(Large for me) and did think about replacing my lathe for a bright modern lathe with Variable speed and the latest thread sizes but went against it as the present lathe does everything that I want.

I will be selling an Axminster mini lathe soon which has variable speed but as of this very moment have not thought about how much and when because of all the work that I am doing in the upgrade(This is also the reason I have not produced much lately)