Author Topic: Bench grinders  (Read 2506 times)

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Bench grinders
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2021, 02:54:34 PM »
I think it is the manufacturers of slow speed grinders that tell you that slow spedd grinders are the essential sharpening tool, but then they would wouldn't they?
Have a look at my youtube channel, thebowlerhattedturner, and you will see half a dozen videos of my sharpening system in use. No need for all these expensive gimmicky grinders. Learn how to use a bench grinder correctly and save yourself a fortune.

I would agree with you to some extent, there is no disputing the sharpness achievable on a Tormek, and I fell into that trap watching it in demo mode at a show. Took me a while to realise that they were so sharp one run along the toolrest not only took the razor edge off but also "sort of" snapped it off leaving them less sharp than a tool sharpened to sharp but strong (sort of 120 grit sharpness if that makes sense), however being lots of money into the pit it took a while before I was ready to admit I made the wrong choice... No doubt about it for bench chisels, kitchen knives and the like the edge achievable on the Tormek is hard to beat, but for woodturning it is not the sort of edge you need.

Whatever method gets you off the sharpener and back on the lathe quickly and efficiently is the right one for you.

However, shiny new tools have an irresistible lure when you have money in your pocket!

TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Bench grinders
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2021, 03:40:57 PM »
I am sure there are those who think it is heresy to say this but turnng tools do not need to be as sharp as bench tools. I use skews a lot and find that the best thing is to give a quick hone often and frequently. I use a trend cfrd for this. Getting the tool shgapoed initially ois not a job for a Totmek or equivalent uness you have a ,ot of time to spare. Personally I confess to not being the most atient of people and pfaffing around adjusting angles and so on with different jigs every time I want to sharpen a tool os not really my cup of tea. It is fine for bench or carving tools (usually carbon steel anyway) but for hss tools it takes ages. Can't speak for the pro edge type kits. I learned to sharpen on a stomne forst then on a bench grinder and by hand though I do use a jig for some gouges. Bottom line use whatever is best for you, me I am like John and will stick to what I know best (and costs less LOL)

Pete

Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities