Author Topic: Band sawing Green native hard wood for bowl blanks  (Read 1706 times)

Offline David1942

• iron
  • 08750 434684
Band sawing Green native hard wood for bowl blanks
« on: February 12, 2023, 11:12:05 PM »
I have returned to turning after many years and have bought a 14"table, 8"depth of cut bandsaw.  It is 1.5 hp belt driven.  I have a 6mm 3tpi blade from Tuff Tools but it can't handle anything much over 2".
I am running at 440 speed, the other speed is 900.
Has anyone any comments re blade, speed or suggestions of what I may try. 
I have a huge stack of wood to convert and seal and am having to use chainsaw for preparation.  Any advise will be most appreciated.
Born again woodturner

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: Band sawing Green native hard wood for bowl blanks
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 07:24:45 AM »
I’m guessing you mean Tuffsaws? If so give Ian a call and ask him for advice. He’s normally very helpful. Is the blade is getting clogged?

Offline Valkrider

• Administrator
  • bronze
    • TurnLincs
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 08:02:51 AM »
For wood try using the higher speed, the lower speed is for aluminium and plastic / perspex.

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2023, 09:26:41 AM »
Sounds like the blade is binding in wet wood as there's not enough set on the blade teeth.
Ian at Tuffsaws has blades with extra set for just this purpose so I suggest you look on his website, tuffsaws.co.uk, then write to him for advice - better than phoning as he's very busy, and he will reply.
A 6mm blade sounds too small to me, and, as previously mentioned, you should be using the higher speed for wood.
Duncan

Offline David1942

• iron
  • 08750 434684
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2023, 11:33:22 AM »
Thanks for your prompt advise all.  Actually I sought advise from Tuffsaws before purchasing the blades, I ordered two and am just about to order a 19mm 3tpi for taking the corners off. There is a good set on the blades I'm using.
I'll post again when I have tested at the faster speed.
Born again woodturner

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2023, 04:20:12 PM »
Yes, do let us know how you get on. It may help others seeing this thread.

Offline David1942

• iron
  • 08750 434684
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2023, 05:00:49 PM »
Further to my earlier entries, I had tried to change speed yesterday but the tension release handle was solid.  I have now discovered that the friend who had 'looked after' my saw, while I was not using it, had changed the belt just before I reclaimed it and has put the wrong belt on it.  His first attempt was slipping - too slack and this one is too tight, with maximum slack on the tension pulley.
I am trying to get the correct belts identification # from Australia and Axminster; neither look like it will be quick.  I wonder if anyone has the same generic machine, the model is BS 345 it was badged by quite  lot of companies and popular.  I can share pics if anyone thinks they might have it.
Born again woodturner

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2023, 04:34:02 PM »
Try going to Bearing Supplies or Google belt suppliers in your area. Take your belt with you and the chances are they will have one the same and a lot cheaper.
Roger G

Offline David1942

• iron
  • 08750 434684
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2023, 07:00:27 PM »
Thanks Roger; I now have one on order.  Am very grateful for the good advice freely given by respondents
Born again woodturner

Offline David1942

• iron
  • 08750 434684
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2023, 05:28:45 PM »
Further to my earlier entries, the bandsaw is rocking n rolling nicely, doing all and more than I anticipated since I got the correct belt.
I have another question, can anyone help.

My blades are covered in white residue as are the tyres on both wheels.  Can anyone advise what to use to clean please?  Thank you in anticipation.
Born again woodturner

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2023, 05:46:41 PM »
If you have any WD40 I’d try that first.

Offline Dancie

• bronze
Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2023, 08:43:38 AM »
I attached the stump of an old toothbrush to my saw to clean the bottom tyre where the blade leaves it. Had no problems since.
Brian

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2023, 08:17:34 PM »
Mine has something like that fitted as standard. Maybe I need to replace it with something stiffer as I don’t find it that effective. The blades themselves are ok but I get a lot of muck sticking to the tyres sometimes.