Author Topic: Wanted - Banjo for Perform CCBL - swap for CCL banjo?  (Read 340 times)

Offline WillDutson

• iron
Wanted - Banjo for Perform CCBL - swap for CCL banjo?
« on: June 15, 2024, 08:55:10 AM »
I've recently bought and refurbished a Perform CCBL. I've noticed that the tool rest is positioned 25mm too low. I believe this is due to the banjo being one from a CCL (64mm vs 89mm height)

Axminster can get the equivalent part, but would be a 6 month wait.

Any suggestions for making up the 25mm height (safely) to allow use of existing tool rest?

I'd appreciate some advice; should I:
a) buy/fabricate a taller tool rest (stiff enough?)
b) cut my losses and start again with another lathe
c) wait 6 months for the part from Axminster

Photo attached of my banjo/rest support. Also a screenshot of the proper ccbl banjo on someone else's lathe.

Many thanks

Will

Offline Redwill

• iron
Re: Wanted - Banjo for Perform CCBL - swap for CCL banjo?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2024, 09:33:07 AM »
   If me go with     A ;  Fabricate new tool rest.     
I did just that, acquired a length of solid round bar of correct dia for the upright,   plus some round stainless approx 2cm  3/4inch dia for the horizontal rest and had it welded to the bar.    Local machine shop had the material  (off cuts) and did this for me,  finished with 4 rests of different lengths at less cost than one from the lathe makers in my case Vicmarc.    To make it easy told the welder  I was not looking for showroom finish  just needed a strong weld ( quicker job for him)    not pretty but practical and tool slides on the round bar with ease.

Offline WillDutson

• iron
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2024, 09:52:57 AM »
Thanks, seems like a good solution.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2024, 12:00:10 PM »
Would one of the two part rests from Axminster or Robert Sorby be of use to you?

Offline WillDutson

• iron
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2024, 01:51:46 PM »
Thanks, worth a look; I'll see if the post length would gain enough height.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2024, 06:24:23 PM »
What is the total height of your tool rest and how short is it?  I ask as I can measure a tool rest I bought from Axminster that may be tall enough?

Edit: This is the Axminster workshop 300mm rest. It’s 134mm high but thinking about it the small banjo you have is a bit limiting so I’d order the correct banjo from Axminster and try and find a way of using the lathe with another toolpost until it arrives.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2024, 06:40:27 PM by Bill21 »

Offline WillDutson

• iron
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2024, 06:42:50 PM »
Total height of tool rest is 115mm. At its upper useable limit it is 35mm below centre.