General Category > General Discussion

Advice needed please :)

<< < (5/5)

Katchin:
well my lathe, bandsaw, bandsaw blades, and grinder have arrived. But no chisels or chuck! I have a K10 on the way, but no jaws currently, as axminster are out of C jaws for a couple of weeks. Axminster seem to be out of a lot of things currently, they should shoot their purchaser :)

The lathe I got was from Craft supplies ltd. http://www.craft-supplies.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/IM004 and seems to be capable of all i will need for sometime. How i will assemble it is another matter, very heavy, and will need to be bolted down I think. As my workshop floor is slanted (was a yard with slanting for water run off), will I need to make this level first? or is it only important that the lathe is not rocking (one leg not touching the ground), I ask this as people have mentioned twisting beds if it isnt level.

Andy Coates:
You must be excited and eager to start making shavings! And everything brand new! Lucky you.

As long as all four legs are touching the floor you should be fine. It will of course be a distinct advantage if the bed is level, perhaps you could cut some wedges with your new bandsaw (carefully!), and if you do decide to bolt the lathe down then bolt through the wedges then they don't slip...if they slipped while turning that could be a safety issue.

Take care assembling everything and enjoy it all when it's up and running.

Don't forget to post a picture of the first piece you make :)

Katchin:
mainly new, yes. Managed to get a Sorby 447 sharpening jig and some skew chisels cheap, second hand. Also got a once used starter set of Sorby chisels off ebay 30 quid cheaper.

Very eager  ;D

Martin Lawrence:
Anything manufactured in China is in a big backlog because of the Olympics they stopped all production for a month to clear the smog, hence they are behind and we as cistomers are now seeing the result, hence the big suppliers have no lathes left.

Cheers Martin.

John D Smith:
Hi Katchin, Have a look on the Sales Thread on this Forum Axminster 950 Lathe with Chuck for Sale Regards John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version