Author Topic: Started - At last !  (Read 2854 times)

Offline BOB A JOB

• copper
  • ONE DESERVES ANOTHER.
Started - At last !
« on: December 21, 2012, 06:31:42 PM »
After looking on this Forum for some time, I finally took the plunge and booked on a 2 day course with Dave Reeks, it was great ! :)
Now every spare minute I'm in the workshop making shavings.
I have also just finished my first 'project' a bowl with a ship's wheel nutcracker for a friend's birthday/ Christmas present. ;D
On reflection I think my choice was a bit ambitious 12" oak blank that was as hard as iron and had quite a few woodworm holes, that kept appearing !
Well I persevered (although it's now a bit smaller than 12" - more like 10" ish).
Now all I've got to do is to work out how to remove or refine the foot that held it in the chuck. :-\
Many thanks Dave Reekes you've started me off ! Not sure Managment is quite so pleased though, still at least she gets the remote for the tele !  ;D
ONE DESERVES ANOTHER.

Offline Terry Miller

• bronze
Re: Started - At last !
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 07:10:34 PM »
Keep up the good work.It does get easier although you will have ups and downs along the way.
I'm a relative newcomer to turning and I am finishing a piece off for Christmas. I intend to take some photos of my work and show them here so that I can get some feedback.
Good luck with the turning

Regards

Terry
Regards

Terry

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 07:16:47 PM »

Well done on your first piece on your own, it's a good feeling, like that first drive alone..   ;D ..

Woodworm, it's just the holes, no grubs I hope.

To remove the chuck point, have you any small jaws, the reason, what size hole have you drilled for the recess for the nutcracker, can you use that to re-chuck, if not and the next you may not feel safe with doing, is turn a jam chuck (tenon) to fit the recess, mount the piece, then bring up the tailstock/center for support and to center the piece, then just trim the recess an blend the foot, not the foot surface, just in case the piece is not running true and add some detail, be careful not to hit the center.

Once finished do we all see some pictures, another part to Woodturning ...    :o ...   :D ...

Cheers David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 09:11:24 PM »
Ah, another lamb to the slaughter. Be prepared to embark on an all consuming hobby, by that i mean it will consume every last penny you have, you will re-mortgage the house to build a workshop, sell the kids to buy tools cut up the floorboards for timber sell the car and buy a van to fit the chain saw in. You will become a recluse and only mix with similar recluses, your holidays will be taken near wood yards or craft outlets and your posh shoes will transform themselves into steel toe capped boots and your best clothes will have labels that say "Stihl" or "Trend" upon them!!!! But most of all you will be HAPPY!
Welcome to the wonderful world of the wood turner.
John BHT

Offline wellturnedout

• iron
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 01:28:59 PM »
  :'(This is from a woodturners widow!!
Yes you are right about no money! got to build a workshop before the decorating gets finished, cold dinners because your fed up with calling him and he says won't be a minute got to finish this piece, and half and hour or three quarters an hour later he wonders why you have eaten yours already, but on the upside,  I can spend money on my hobbies without him saying anything at all about how much I spend because I can say to him, I can't live without this piece just like you can't, so I don't mind him burying himself in his rather large workshop  :-* we have peace all the time. Happy Christmas to all you woodturners and particularly woodturners widows! and a fruitful and productive 2013  :-*Tricia Metallic Queen textile artist