General Category > General Discussion

Using veneers

(1/2) > >>

bodrighywood:
I have quite a lot of veneers in various woods and want to use them to put inlays in things. One way is to put them in as circles on the top of little boxes and I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas about how to cut the circles? I have been Googling punches etc but as yet have only found metal punches of any decent size. I can't see that cutting accurate neat circles with a scalpel would be cost effective or accurate.

Pete

Bryan Milham:
Personally I'd go with old holesaws, if you grind off the teeth and take them down to a sharp edge you can cut most things.

Better yet they come in loads of sizes. The only problem I've ever had is finding people with worn out ones!

Paul Hannaby:
Have you looked at wad punches? They are really for leather but I'm sure they would cut veneer.

Or another alternative - Circle cutters for art/craft projects are available from art suppliers that can be used to cut circles of various sizes. Really intended for paper etc. but I'm sure they would cut veneer if you try it. I have one I use for cutting circles when I'm airbrushing with masking film and that one will go from almost zero up to around 150mm.

BrianH:
Have you tried sharpening one leg of a pair of dividers into tiny cutting edge?

davidbrac:
if you want something that will last, be fast, and accurate but not cheap then go for badge cutter, you can also resharpen them.
did a quick google but you should be able to find them cheaper than this
http://www.blankbadge.co.uk/g-series-adjustable-circle-cutter-25mm---75mm-368-p.asp

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version