General Category > General Discussion

So, how much...?

(1/3) > >>

arcos:
Some of you may have seen my first olive wood bowl...

Just curious on what sort of value one would put on it?

Approximate dimensions....

4 inches across and a depth of around 2.5 inches more or less.

I'm just curious as I have the opportunity to 'exhibit' items in a cultural cafe where they promote local 'artisans' and have temporary and permanent exhibitions of local crafts for sale.

Two Quid? A fiver? MORE??

I really have NO idea!

bodrighywood:
How long is a piece of string?  Ask yourself how long did it take to make? (base on an hourly rate) How much did your materials, electricity etc cost you? Cost should ideally be based on these but it also needs to take into account where you are selling and to whom. Here where I live a bowl that size, in this sort of wood would sell for at least £25 and a lot more if in a gallery. It's a unique wood for starters and took a fair bit of work.

Pete

arcos:

--- Quote from: bodrighywood on January 09, 2013, 09:56:55 PM ---How long is a piece of string?  Ask yourself how long did it take to make? (base on an hourly rate) How much did your materials, electricity etc cost you? Cost should ideally be based on these but it also needs to take into account where you are selling and to whom. Here where I live a bowl that size, in this sort of wood would sell for at least £25 and a lot more if in a gallery. It's a unique wood for starters and took a fair bit of work.

Pete

--- End quote ---

OH MY GOODNESS!

I was thinking like £5 or something like that!

Yes, it took me an age, but that was my fault, and was a great learning process.

I guess to some extent it depends on what someone else values it at?!

'Crafted' from local wood, finished with oil from the same tree that the bowl is turned from, yes, literally, does make it incredibly unique!

Woodcrafts:
I would totally agree with Bodrighywood, value it around £25. Never undervalue your work. Even if it did take you a longer time to make than you expected, as you were 'learning', the basic costs must have been at least £10.
One bit of great advice given to me years ago - don't be put off by people reacting negatively to the price. Be proud of your work and value it accordingly. When the right person comes along and pays your asking price, you will feel so much better than if you just sold it to the first 'passer by'.
You can even turn the logic the other way round. Put a high price on something and potential buyers will think "Wow that must be good if it costs that much!!"
By the way, lovely bowl. Keep up the great work.

woodndesign:

Don't take less than the £25 if you set at that price should where you place it for sale be taking a cut, add that onto your price or round up by £5, so you get what you want or more.

Costing is not easy, as said it's to take in all the factors, from what you've said the timber is free from your own land, but there's converting it, drying, power/light, wear/tear on tools/equipment but above all ...  time... and the outlet you sell through, if they sell cheap..  cheap you'll got, but the Cultural Cafe if they're promoting local 'artisans' hopefully will not be charging to much and offer your pieces at your's or their higher price, as Paul said ask high, you can never go backup.

Best of luck.

David

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version