General Category > General Discussion

Silly newby questions.... Sorry!

<< < (2/2)

Bryan Milham:
Arcos,

2 things, we don't generally turn bowls across the trunk or branch, Vases and other spindle type objects are okay.

Also I've run up a quick drawing of how to use a trunk for taking out turning blanks. Assume this would be 12" - 15" across, and adapt it for smaller or larger trunks as available.

I've been doing this with a Brown Oak log the last couple of days, I'll post a couple of pics of some of the work in a day or so.

BrianH:
To prove the old tryism that nothing can be all right or all wrong.....
The drawing our Mr Fly has posted would be fine and dandy if the log in question has simarlar coloured heart and sapwood, like ash or sycamore, but would give rather questionable results with something with contrast like  laburnam.
So there is no right or wrong way to do anything, we all have to think what we want to achieve before factoring in the material and equipment available. The chances are that the end result will be a compromise which will be different from person to person, log to log and workshop to workshop.
Confusing, when all you want is a straight answer, innit ???
All the best
Brian

arcos:
Thanks Brian...

A straight answer would be great!!!  ;D

I guess my 'difficulty' at the moment is that I don't have any large wood i.e over 5" or 6" diameter MAX, so trying to cut/split something this size is, in my opinion. pretty pointless (unless you are going to tell me different!)

Isn't it 'easier' when using smaller rounds to just mount the whole piece?

I can understand when using larger diameter logs that splitting them and then using them in a more 'economical' way.

Perhaps owning a band saw would make me think different?  ???

BrianH:
Using the log in the round throws up the problem of working around the pithe. The secret to that is to cut your project to an even thickness... thiness would be a better description....all round. This encourages the wood to move rather than split so you WILL eventually  land up with an off round project which cannot be re-chucked. Some pieces are likely to take on an interesting rustic character but others just wont. All part of the fun of using freeby wood ;)
Tarra
Brian

woody:
I have turned loads of bowls from logs as well as vases I also leave the bark on you end up with some amazing natural bowls and they sell really well one thing people love about them is that they will do there own thing and end up all manner of different shapes

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version